Upgraded window motors revisited...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
In a previous thread about E28 window motors I noted that the front window drive motor was interchangeable with the rear drive motor, but the gearbox was not usable for a swap. A question arose about finding another source of gearboxes for the swap.
So, I was rummaging through an old Volvo and noticed that the window motors are remarkably similar to the E28 rear window motors. After a little testing and measuring, it appears that the most telling difference is the number of teeth on the gear, 10 for the Volvo and 8 for the BMW. These gears are very hard to remove, but the shaft is the same size as the E28 motor. The Volvo motors also rotate a little slower than the BMW motors. I'm attempting to install an 8 tooth gear from a front BMW motor onto the Volvo gearbox. I will also try to swap in a BMW motor on the Volvo gearbox and see if the operation speeds up.

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would love to do similar tinkering (is that a word?) but the oldest cars we have here in any boneyard are from early 2000's. I speak for all when we say we appreciate the effort!

zinnocoupe

Reaction score
I just saw this thought I'd say that I have recently been working on a project 84 Porsche 944. ( I know sacrilege, its not a BMW. ). ( even my BMW isn't an e9) I notice that the 944 window motors are the same ( I think) as the fronts in my 77 e12 530, which look just like the ones in th POs pics at the top. I havent really done any swapping so can't confirm but to my eye they are the same Brose brand.