Two technical questions

chicane

Reaction score
What is the socket size for the OEM plugs, 14mm?
On the CSi what is the original mounting location for the FI brain box?

Thanks.

Malc

Reaction score
Assume you mean the thread size for the plugs - yes it's 14mm You can get a chasing tap at any good automotive store, along with a suitable plug spanner (box wrench)

Looking from the rear of the car the FI ECU is situated under the rear RHS seat fastened to three lugs. The fuel pump relay is usually nearby

HTH
Malc

chicane

Reaction score
Malc said:
Assume you mean the thread size for the plugs - yes it's 14mm You can get a chasing tap at any good automotive store, along with a suitable plug spanner (box wrench)

Looking from the rear of the car the FI ECU is situated under the rear RHS seat fastened to three lugs. The fuel pump relay is usually nearby

HTH
Malc

No, I meant the actual socket wrench size for the plug. So you are saying under the rear seat on the right hand side?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I'll have to double check, but I think I just use a common 13/16th plug socket. Whatever, it is a lot bigger than 14mm.

chicane

Reaction score
Bill Riblett said:
I'll have to double check, but I think I just use a common 13/16th plug socket. Whatever, it is a lot bigger than 14mm.

That's it! Thanks!

Malc

Reaction score
chicane said:
Malc said:

HTH
Malc

No, I meant the actual socket wrench size for the plug. So you are saying under the rear seat on the right hand side?

Yeap That's where the ECU should be. THe Harness then goes forward under the front seat and enters the chassis leg. It emerges from the leg roughly below where the coil is situated.
Sorry re confusion on the spark plug thing.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Socket for sparkplug in the E-9 and E-3

Both early 9's & 3's came with a special socket in the standard toolkit.

Socket is about 4"/100mm in length with a spring clip inside to hold the plug securely once clear of threads in the head--also had a hole through both walls of the upper part of that large socket. There is a long rod of about 9""/225mm with a shoulder at the halfway point of its length to prevent the rod from wandering when being used and for aid in sparkplug removal.

Due to size and weight of the socket much care must be given when using it to install plugs--its bulk takes away the "feel" so important when mating the male steel threads into the fragile alloy female threads of the cylinger head.

I'm a little surprised that no one had volunteered that our cars had come with this tool--maybe I'm assuming that most owners still have the original tools when in fact they are long gone.

Honolulu

Reaction score
yeah

What Blumax said - and that tubular OE socket is the best for removing the plugs. I've tried the others, and unless you got some kinda special mojo, that one socket is the cat's pajamas for removing your plugs.