Turn signals/Side marker lights

acat2002

Reaction score
To the hard-core purist...try not to cringe when reading this.....but...I'm installing an aftermarket alarm/keyless entry because I actually plan on using my coupe on more than just a sunny weekend :D

This probably has a simple answer, but where is correct place to connect the "side marker indicator" - i.e. the one wire that will illuminate all four corner turnsignals when the system is 'armed'? The alarm control unit sends out two short positive pulses through this wire to let the user know the system is armed/disarmed by blinking the turn signal lenses.

I'd assume it would be one of the wires coming from the hazard relay, or hazard switch? I have the "blue books" with wiring diagrams as well as the Prosperos laminated wiring diagrams, so I'm not completely in the dark.

In any event, I wouldn't trust my coupe to the local audio/alarm geeks (hacks). Also, my coupe is stripped out awaiting new interior & dash, so I'm stuck doing this myself.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks.

Honolulu

Reaction score
welll.....

The general deal is to wire it to one or both front turn lighs, but you could also put a separate low voltage indicator up above your visor, or a small item on the corner of the dash, or a little bitty thing somewhere else unexpected.

pmansson

Reaction score
I stopped locking my collector cars many years ago. The argument being that if someone want to enter the car, it´s better if they use the doors.
The alternative is for them to damage glass, paint, chrome and more.
As with modern daily drivers, it´s best not to leave anything valueable lying around in the car.....

cpeavey

Reaction score
I have a keyless entry system in my car, too. From Autoloc.

After having the remote function for about eight years, I recently hooked up the light flashing connection. The problem, at least in my '74, is that there is no single circuit for the parking lights. On my car, the four parking lights + two side marker lights + license plate lights + instrument lights are divided unevenly between two separate fuses, but roughly right vs. left side. I added a relay below the fusebox to provide power to one of those circuits when the remote is activated. Now one side of the car + the license plate lights + the instrument lights (!) flash. To flash all of them I think would take another relay - and I only had one on hand.

There might be a more elegant way to do this without rewiring the circuits, but I haven't figured it out.

Charlie P.
'74 3.0CS

acat2002

Reaction score
pmansson said:
I stopped locking my collector cars many years ago. The argument being that if someone want to enter the car, it´s better if they use the doors.
The alternative is for them to damage glass, paint, chrome and more.
As with modern daily drivers, it´s best not to leave anything valueable lying around in the car.....

That is a fair argument Pmansson, and one that I agree with. I'm less worried about the would-be thieves, as I am about my two 3-year old boys gaining entry :lol:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Charlie is right. The circuits are separate right and left and all switches (light, hazard, turn) drive them separately. The simplest solution is to just wire your output to the left circuit (at fuse #1) and be done with it. The driver always approaches and retreats from that side (in the US)... If you want both you'd need a relay with dual contacts.