Turn signal-marker light question

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today I noticed that when I had the turn signal in the on position (either left or right, made no difference) and the motor off, key removed the frint side marker light was on and the rear tail light. Lights were off. Not flashing, just on. Typical?

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Today I noticed that when I had the turn signal in the on position (either left or right, made no difference) and the motor off, key removed the frint side marker light was on and the rear tail light. Lights were off. Not flashing, just on. Typical?

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep - My 2002 does the same thing.

They are meant to do so that way.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yep - My 2002 does the same thing.

They are meant to do so that way.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
parking lights

German or european parking lights, I have been told, used for added safety/visibility when the car is parked. Either side can be lit up with turn signal.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
parking lights

German or european parking lights, I have been told, used for added safety/visibility when the car is parked. Either side can be lit up with turn signal.

DJSimca

Reaction score
Re: parking lights

Definitely working as designed.

Pretty neat actually. If you're parked in a row of cars on the side of the road you can switch on the parking lights on the left side only in order to make your car more visible to passing traffic :D

When I bought a CSi many years ago I remember being amazed that a 35 year old car has this feature .. German engineering, what more can I say :D

DJSimca

Reaction score
Re: parking lights

Definitely working as designed.

Pretty neat actually. If you're parked in a row of cars on the side of the road you can switch on the parking lights on the left side only in order to make your car more visible to passing traffic :D

When I bought a CSi many years ago I remember being amazed that a 35 year old car has this feature .. German engineering, what more can I say :D

jmackro

Reaction score
Yea, I guess this was a German or European requirement back when, and they installed it on US delivery cars as well.

Keep in mind that it will drain your battery if you forget to put the TS switch back to the center position when you park you car overnight. While I will agree that this feature is one of the charming quirks of the older German cars, some of that charm is diminished the next morning when the *&^&() car won't start.

jmackro

Reaction score
Yea, I guess this was a German or European requirement back when, and they installed it on US delivery cars as well.

Keep in mind that it will drain your battery if you forget to put the TS switch back to the center position when you park you car overnight. While I will agree that this feature is one of the charming quirks of the older German cars, some of that charm is diminished the next morning when the *&^&() car won't start.

Malc

Reaction score
Still do it on many modern BMW, VW, Mercedes and Audi cars
Used to be a legal requirement in the UK but I think it was dropped in the mid 1960's when reflective number (Licence) plates came in.

Malc

Reaction score
Still do it on many modern BMW, VW, Mercedes and Audi cars
Used to be a legal requirement in the UK but I think it was dropped in the mid 1960's when reflective number (Licence) plates came in.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just went out to check if this worked on my car and alas it seems to have been removed as part of the resto! :)

Any ideas on the most likely thing to check? Being Golf I guess its visible enough!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just went out to check if this worked on my car and alas it seems to have been removed as part of the resto! :)

Any ideas on the most likely thing to check? Being Golf I guess its visible enough!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are only two parts involved, the ignition switch (provides 12V to that circuit only when ignition is off) and the turn signal stalk (has dedicated contacts to pass that 12V to either fuse 1 or fuse 3). From the fuses on all the wiring is common with your regular lights, so all that presumably works.

The easiest diagnosis is at the turn signal stalk connector because you can verify there that you get 12V, that the stalk contacts work, an also continuity to the fuses.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are only two parts involved, the ignition switch (provides 12V to that circuit only when ignition is off) and the turn signal stalk (has dedicated contacts to pass that 12V to either fuse 1 or fuse 3). From the fuses on all the wiring is common with your regular lights, so all that presumably works.

The easiest diagnosis is at the turn signal stalk connector because you can verify there that you get 12V, that the stalk contacts work, an also continuity to the fuses.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Arde,

its on that perpetual to do list that is stuck to the cars windscreen and has never shortened only lengthened!

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Arde,

its on that perpetual to do list that is stuck to the cars windscreen and has never shortened only lengthened!