Trunk Won’t Unlock: Suggestions?

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I’m stuck as I can’t get the trunk to unlock. Seems to be a mechanism issue not a key/lock issue. The key (which works elsewhere just fine, and has always worked for the trunk) won’t turn to unlock unless I push it in while turning, and then it seems the lever at the end of the lock cylinder slips past the push bar release for the latch. I’ve tried wiggling and waggling it every way possible, including doing so while I apply pressure to the trunk lid. I can’t even think of a good way to get into the trunk to push that latch release bar by other means.

Suggestions?

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Removing the shelf behind the seat may provide some visibility. Also, the rear seat is easily removable. Probably not a big enough hole to fit in, but certainly see more.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my borther in law's 2002 I was able to fish a coat hanger-type wire through a hole behind the rear seats/hat tray and pull the lever open.

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score

Last edited:

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, "geht nicht? gibt's nicht!" as we say.
There is a small hole below the lock. It's used to fix the number plate's mounting frame and it''s cover. If you manage to dismount that you get access to the inner side:
20231024_123755.jpg
I used a M6 threaded rod to reach the position of the lever, bended as shown.
20231024_123856.jpg
20231024_124321.jpg20231024_125050.jpg20231024_123914.jpg
It may take a while until you reach the proper point to press the lever forward, but: good luck!
Thomas

Last edited:

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, "geht nicht? gibt's nicht!" as we say.
There is a small hole below the lock. It's used to fix the number plate's mounting frame and it''s cover. If you manage to dismount that you get access to the inner side:

I used a M6 threaded rod to reach the position of the lever, bended as shown.

It may take a while until you reach the proper point to press the lever forward, but: good luck!
Thomas
Thanks TomHom! Great info! I’ll attempt later today and post results.

I can see through the gas filler recess (with the rubber inside piece pried aside) where the lid attaches to the latch mechanism, but not much more due to the trunk interior covers. Between the photos and an extra latch mechanism i should be able to figure it out without any damage.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
you might have problems removing the screws
because you cannot reach the nut. Try to force the nut to the housing (so it is not turning freely) by putting the screw under tension:
20231024_163019.jpg example picture
First by using e.g. a fine putty, then a fine flat screw driver and so on
Good luck!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Jello - in the thread that 3moons points to, there is a suggestion from Peter Coomaraswamy that you should consider.

When we were in Monterey six years ago, Peter managed to get the trunk on Chris Auty's CSL open using this technique. Chris was pretty freaked out because his car was being judged in the Quail and he needed the trunk to open as part of the judging. Peter really saved the day - Chris won second place with that car.

Honolulu

Reaction score
It has been since the 1995 CCA Breckenridge Oktoberfest, that I saw this problem solved in a non-intrusive way. Guy with a very nice Riviera coupe couldn't open his trunk. His gf/wife standing by didn't relieve the stress level. The Old Pro (not me) stuck the key in and rotated it back and forth with different angles of light effort for several minutes until -!voila! - the latch opened.

Seems there is a arm in the lock cylinder that loses its press fit or whatever, and mostly refuses to rotate. Getting just the right, moderate force on it with the key can persuade it to open, but of course after that you have to do the actual mechanism repair. I wouldn't try or expect this technique to work twice.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
here you can see the small nose which is supposed to push the lever forward. The position shown is 3 o'clock for opening. If this nose is broken completely: no chance! If its broken partly try pushing at positions between 3 to 6 o'clock.20231027_114116.jpg
Good luck
Thomas

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
Maybe try to take off/ or on side the rubber cover for fuel filler, maybe you will be able to reach the trunk lock lever with long flat screwdriver or something similar.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I did what Thomas recommended, removing the bolt that secures the chrome license plate mounting panel, and using the 0.5cm rod as shown below I adjusted and wiggled and waggled until I could reach the latch release tab, pressed it forward by lifting up the rod, and it released.

For my car this was caused by both a finicky lock and a loose latch mechanism.

So while I was there, I decided to install the rear fog light that goes between the license plate and the left tail light, since I’ve had those parts laying around for 30 years. More on that later!

What started as a simple task to replace some old fuel line sections has evolved into:
>Trunk latch repair,
>Rear fog light install,
>Replace end link bushings for both sway bars, and last but not least
>Replace the 30 year old rubber fuel lines.

The car goes into winter storage in 2 weeks so I better get cracking!

Attachments

• IMG_0217.jpeg
    IMG_0217.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 44

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
LOL
Glad it worked out. Funny how thing often don't go as planned when messing around with 50+ year old cars...

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That’s why I don’t lock my doors or trunk.
Me as well - usually.

On a side note - I had the trunk lock fail on my E38 a few years back. Would not release by the key or remote. Nothing would work.
When that happened, my work computer was in there.
Talk about a PITA... Had a funny discussion at work about why I needed a loaner computer for a few days.
In the end, it was recovered and the lock fixed. Not cheap though - the parts were not that bad. Labor was $600 if I recall though....
Looking back on that event - After the truck became closed, I did recall hearing the lock sound different for a few days before it went kaboom.
I should have paid more attention to the warning signs. In the end, it worked out. But - the hassle both in terms of $$ and effort could have been avoided if I paid more attention to the signs of trouble.

TodB

Reaction score
Hi Jello - in the thread that 3moons points to, there is a suggestion from Peter Coomaraswamy that you should consider.

When we were in Monterey six years ago, Peter managed to get the trunk on Chris Auty's CSL open using this technique. Chris was pretty freaked out because his car was being judged in the Quail and he needed the trunk to open as part of the judging. Peter really saved the day - Chris won second place with that car.
I recall Chris won his category at the Quail. And that Peter got the trunk open in, like, a minute.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was one of the first actions on my E9 ... I had only passenger door key. Fortunately someone has stolen taillights and chrome panel :rolleyes: so that was piece of cake based on description from Peter