Trunk (boot) "fairings"

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
The first liners I cut (taken from the originals) were a bit off, so I used them as draft templates to mark up and prepare the second set, The second set now appears to fit and I plan to use contact cement to place them tomorrow. Once I verify the fit I can prepare a master template from a second identical set I prepared and share photos with the group.

It’s a floppy piece of vinyl applied to a curved surface, so I expect the cementing will be a two step process. First to cement to some anchor points and second to cement the rest. If it all fits well I’ll create a master template from the second set and share pics. And if I get really ambitious I’ll see if I can dimension it.

Pls note I thought my originals were just crude pieces slapped in place, with no cutouts for other than the gas filler, antennae, and some other minor features. I’ve added cutouts for all the belt trim mounting bolts and the bumper end mounting bolts, though not for rear side markers as I have none. These cutouts serve as anchor points to align the liners, and I’ve added generous clearances around these features as alignment while cementing will be challenging.

Also these liners are only cosmetic and serve no functional purpose, so I have not tried to completely mimic the originals but rather improve on them. While they will fit my car and will be completely acceptable to me, I do expect some perfectionists could take it to another level……..

Original liners:

1693880289861.jpeg

Current Master liners:
1693880436098.jpeg

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff, this is great. I wonder if perhaps adding a cloth backing to the vinyl might be a good idea. It might give it a little more 'substance.'

jim

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The original backing was woven as part of the vinyl, adding it to new vinyl would make it harder to stay glued I would think.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
The material used is backed by a thin, and very tight weave, nylon material:
1693936183224.jpeg
1693936351850.jpeg
1693936419586.jpeg

Here’s the two pieces as installed. Not perfect, but given the number of features to go around, the installation location, and the nature of contact cement, I’m pleased.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my goal is to make a panel that goes in to place to give it a more 'finished' appearance ... and one that could be removed to get to the belt trim nuts, etc. it will be locked in at the bottom by the floor boards. i plan to use waterproof panel board like i used on the taillight panel - hopefully it is flexible enough to deal with the curve where the fender turn into the trunk ... and finished off by installing the taillight panel. it might not have to go too far into the curve depending on where it intersects the taillight panel. at the top, i think the belt line trim nuts will hold it just off the fender and the panel board will keep it looking straight.

i see the bumper bolt ... and that is around where the floor board is. can somebody post a pic of where that is in relationship to the top of the floorboard?

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here’s the end result. Any irregularities due to my difficulty with application are well hidden.

Repairing the tool kit clamshell is a winter project.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    350.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0131.jpeg
    IMG_0131.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 62

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used a felt backed vinyl and glued it on with spray contact adhesive......it came out ok.:)

Attachments

• image000000.JPG
    image000000.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image000002.JPG
    image000002.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image000001.JPG
    image000001.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 59

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have used the 3M spray in the past, both the 77 and the 90, but was not impressed by their adhesion or their durability. For this job I used some Weldwood in places, but I did not like the adhesion. The Lokweld worked the best, but you need plenty of ventilation.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Better than "OK"! Nice job, Paul. Did you use 3M 550 or 770 adhesive?
I used this stuff.......I did have a more industrial strength glue but cannot which I got at an upholsterer supplier....cant remember the name but is in an all white can with red lettering. cheers...

Attachments

• image000000.JPG
    image000000.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 32