Trunk (boot) "fairings"

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like to reproduce these two pieces for my USA '73 CS. Mine are nowhere to be found. As noted elsewhere, CS Werk only ships within Germany. If someone were to provide a template (e.g. on a large piece of paper) I would be very grateful.

Or might it be possible to create a grid document that could be shared electronically?

1693535201843.png

PN 51 47 7 780 195

1693535378287.png

PN 47 7 780 196

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing mine, and I just cut two new ones using the originals as templates. The originals are complete but in less than good condition, and have more features/cut-outs than shown in the pics above. You can have them for the cost of shipping. Mine is a Euro 3.0cs.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing mine, and I just cut two new ones using the originals as templates. The originals are complete but in less than good condition, and have more features/cut-outs than shown in the pics above. You can have them for the cost of shipping. Mine is a Euro 3.0cs.
That sounds good to me. If I am correct (that may be a big *if*), the left side is a mirror image of the right side, without the cutout for the fuel inlet. How do we proceed?

I don't know what differences there are between the US and Euro versions.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 73 euro does not have any form of solid backing, only the elephant skin applied with an adhesive directly to the car???

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They had a super thin foam (on the plastic arch covers) that was and/or turns yellow with age and then turns to dust.

Last edited:

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They had a super thin foam that was and/or turns yellow with age and then turns to dust.

inasmuch as I have nothing to look at, was this super thin foam common to both US and European cars? I have been wondering how I might get a rather rigid piece of vinyl-covered board in the openings. We they glued to the fenders?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was referring to the plastic covers on the wheel wells. The vinyl on the rear fenders had a cloth or cotton looking material which is not found on today’s replacement vinyl and was just glued on.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one quick note, these side panel covers do not have holes for the side marker lights. if you have a USA coupe, it likely has these lights ... unless you have shaved them off, like i did. i haven't tried this CS Werk panel, and it might 'hold' off the inner side of the fender and allow the side marker lamp to be there ... i just don't know. I would like to echo the confidence about buying from Christoph ... great guy / great products ... and a coupe owner.

eventually i will make a template and create a pdf to put in the FAQ section ... but i have to get my car home first.

ES 1800

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one quick note, these side panel covers do not have holes for the side marker lights. if you have a USA coupe, it likely has these lights ... unless you have shaved them off, like i did. i haven't tried this CS Werk panel, and it might 'hold' off the inner side of the fender and allow the side marker lamp to be there ... i just don't know. I would like to echo the confidence about buying from Christoph ... great guy / great products ... and a coupe owner.

eventually i will make a template and create a pdf to put in the FAQ section ... but i have to get my car home first.
You all know the people on this forum much better than I do, so I need to ask, is "Christoph" @HB Chris? If so, I did not know he sold E9 products, and would like to be educated.

I believe I now understand that the pieces I am wanting to reproduce were flexible, and that might answer my wondering about how it went in. The picture from CS Werk looked rigid, but looks can be deceiving.

My car does not have rear side marker lights. Its history is a little sketchy, but it did have a metric speedometer when I got it 16 years ago. I see there a registry -- that might allow me to fill in the gaps on this car?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris, must be the same stuff as behind the headliner of my 635. The headliner looks fine but if you touch it, yellow/orange dust falls. It's just a job I don't want to take on yet, or perhaps ever.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Isn’t it strange how the C pillar headliner piece can turn orange from that foam on an e12/28? On my e12 I masked it all off and shot SEM Ranger White.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
My euro 1970 2800cs 2205990 had the elephant vinyl glued directly to the inner fender. There was some sort of felt/foam liner which is dust to dust. Also although a euro car, it has both front rear side markers. The inner fender liners were glued over them inside. This somewhat makes me wonder if the markers were added when it was imported to CA. Otherwise they seem original.
Anyhow all being replaced which makes me as the question, with the side lights are there cutouts in the liner around them.
Jjs2800cs

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Your side markers were added upon import to the US, euro coupes never had them. I don’t think there was any foam under the vinyl, just the cloth backing that was part of the vinyl which newer vinyl lacks.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Your side markers were added upon import to the US, euro coupes never had them. I don’t think there was any foam under the vinyl, just the cloth backing that was part of the vinyl which newer vinyl lacks.
Curious....Was it a common practice to have the side markers installed when Euro to US, for all states, or maybe just CA? Did the dealers add them?

Back to the liner. I'm close to gluing newly cut elephant skin to inside of the fenders, so for US cars that came with the side markers, were there cutouts around the inside of the marker assemblies? Or, like what I found, the fabric was just stretched over them? What was original for the US?

Thanks
jjs2800cs

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious....Was it a common practice to have the side markers installed when Euro to US, for all states, or maybe just CA? Did the dealers add them?

Back to the liner. I'm close to gluing newly cut elephant skin to inside of the fenders, so for US cars that came with the side markers, were there cutouts around the inside of the marker assemblies? Or, like what I found, the fabric was just stretched over them? What was original for the US?

Thanks
jjs2800cs
Required by the Feds but some states might have been lax, it’s hard to tell, but they should have been added. Dealer wouldn’t have been involved as they couldn’t import euro coupes, it was up to the importer/owner to have them added.

US coupes had the vinyl cut around the marker light, never glued over the light.