Troubleshooting Non-Functional Horn

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
No power coming to the four contacts in the steering wheel; relay is new and I tested the original horns—they work fine. There's a PO splice in between the wire coming up through the column and the contacts. The splice looks good; where do I go next? Oh, and the fuse is OK...

Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len,

Might be semantics but no power goes to the four buttons, they make a ground to complete the relay circuit. If you swapped hi beam and horn relays and the horn relay works in the hi beam connector position, I would find the Brown/Green wire on the horn relay. It is the one that goes up your column. Ground it to the body and see if horn sounds. If it does, looks like you need to snake a new wire up your steering column as there is most likely a break in the circuit somewhere. Page 61-0/41 in the Blue Book has your diagram.

Chris

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If your horn is ready to work, you should have 12v on one side of the coil of the relay ( both sides if you read the voltage with the relay installed ) and 12v on one of the contacts. If your ground circuit to the column is complete, you should also read 12v on this wire with the relay installed.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, my mistake—meant to say that I grounded the horn wire to the column and did not read 12v...

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Yes, my mistake—meant to say that I grounded the horn wire to the column and did not read 12v...

If you ground the wire it should read zero volts. It only reads 12v if it's not grounded. If you go to the horn relay and read the voltage on the brown/green wire, it should read 12v with the relay installed. When you ground this wire, it goes to zero volts and the relay energizes.