Trans woes

nealf

Reaction score
And the big question if in fact the trans is junk..
does anyone had a spare around that’s proven to be a good usable replacement 5 speed?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
And the big question if in fact the trans is junk..
does anyone had a spare around that’s proven to be a good usable replacement 5 speed?
If it shifts normally while driving then it sounds like there's something dynamic that's not right when the car is at rest, hence the questions about rubber bushings, engine & trans mounts, looseness in the shift platform, etc. Oil can deteriorate rubber mounts making them squishy and soft.
You said that this started when the giubo was changed. That repair could have changed the alignment of the whole assembly which could be causing your trans to be in reverse when you think it is in first as a result of shifter platform misalignment.
Yes, you need some experienced eyes looking at this to see what's going on. It's a system, an assembly of parts that has to work together, but it's not easy to see what's going on.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One quick thought is that when the last work was done the shifter was disconnected from the shift rod and then reconnected backwards.
The other possibility is that one of the essential connectors or supports has failed. I have never seen an issue like yours being a transmission problem.
Take the car to a shop- put it on a lift- have a pro examine the supports and connectors.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Your transmission is probably fine. It worked perfectly before it was worked on and suddenly has problems afterwards. Listen to SFDon, you will not get any better information. It's linkage or the rear tower mount not connected right or something along those lines...

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
A long shot here: Pull the shifter boot off and see what happens. I had an E36 with a leather shifter boot that shrunk to the point that it would not go into 2nd gear.

nealf

Reaction score
I don't know. My very knowledgeable friend, some of you may know him from the 2002FAQ, "Stone" , a.k.a Chris Isaacson has been wrenching on 2002's and
Coupes and Bavarias for over 30 years. He is usually right and he says the trans is toast.
I hope he is wrong!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why not call Pete at Pete’s Gear Shop for a second opinion?
Getrag 265/6 in known good condition is 1500-2000

gazzol

Reaction score
I do not think that this is a transmission issue. As has been stated several times already: check the shifter platform first however my personal opinion (I'm also a mechanic of 30 odd years of experience) is that (as already stated by other members) this is a clutch clearance issue i.e. the clutch friction disc is not being fully disengaged from the flywheel when the pedal is being pressed.This could be a mechanical issue with the pedal/linkage or oil contamination or (more likely) an issue with one of the hydraulic cylinders. It's also possible that it's a mechanical issue with the clutch pressure plate or even a cracked clutch release fork. A Cylinder issue can be diagnosed in a matter of minutes on a 2 post lift by actuating the release fork with a prybar whilst the engine is running and an assistant attempts to put the car in gear without pressing the clutch pedal. If it goes in gear the fork isn't being moved far enough and it's therefore a pedal or hydraulic fault. I can't be bothered to try to explain to the non believers how one can change gear when the car is moving but not when stationary, suffice to say that that's how it is. To emphasize the point if you are really careful and good at rev matching it is quite easy to shift gear WHILST MOVING without using the clutch at all.