trade bmw e9 for volvo p1800

chapa

Reaction score
I've always worked under the impression that VINs with 228 were automatics, VINs with 227 were manuals from the factory.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while that's true ... my 228 vin has a 5 speed. so it just didn't come from the factory with a 4 spd.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A restored green wagon lives nearby. Alas, it sits outside all four PA seasons. I too love the frameless hatch. Volvo tried to replicate it on a little! two door they brought out a couple of years ago. A faint echo of the original. And a back seat that makes our coupes' look like the back of a stretch limo.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
Back in the day, I settled for a bunch of "enthusiast" cars that were all 4 bangers- 912, 914, Alfa 1750 spider etc... P1800 was one I wanted along with an Alfa GTV, but these were all compromises because an e9 was always beyond my reach.

Each to his own.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A restored green wagon lives nearby. Alas, it sits outside all four PA seasons. I too love the frameless hatch. Volvo tried to replicate it on a little! two door they brought out a couple of years ago. A faint echo of the original. And a back seat that makes our coupes' look like the back of a stretch limo.

My daily driver is the 2008 version.
The car rides higher than the P1800ES but has a lot more HP.

chapa

Reaction score
You are quite correct, rporsche. There are more than a few 228 VIN'd cars with manuals in them. I own one as well. My point was that his car has had a transmission swap at some point. Could be important to somebody.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe he lacks adequate parking space...
Note, he does not want the wagon (which IMHO is much cooler)

Agree, I like the wagon way more. But, I love wagons anyway.

Here's a nice coupe (with air!) that on that was on BAT recently. We were entered in a show with it last year, it's beautiful! My wife and I had a glass of wine (or two) with the couple that owned it, great people. You could tell they were both very attached to it, wonder why they sold it.

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/02/26/well-played-1969-volvo-p1800-s/