Track Day at Thunderhill Raceway in the e9

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks like you've been around this track a few time... great video and lines! Would love to know how your E9 is set up.

shanon

Reaction score
Nice Scott! Was wondering if ya made it out. ;)
T-Hill's 5-mile big track is good fun.

TodB

Reaction score
Looks like you've been around this track a few time... great video and lines! Would love to know how your E9 is set up.

Neat track. You CA guys sure do like your corkscrews! And a good battle with 911 #2. You could tell "he felt you" back there.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
(1) sounds like you have a pretty nice motor in your coupe. 3.5l injected, stage two?
(2) great line throughout the whole track: back on throttle before the apexes, full use of track-out space. Seems like you could take the braking up another tenth. You must have substantial track time in this car or else your just talented (or both). The video is a nice tutorial for rwd cars..
(3) pretty track with lots and lots of safe run-off area. Sort of the anti-Watkins Glen.

Nice video. Thanks

gwittman

Reaction score
I have never run the 5 mile course. I thought the original course had tough learning curve but that 5 mile cranks that up another notch or two. Looks like it would be a blast to run though. I had an exciting run over the Crow's Nest (Corkscrew?). I was trying to pass a slower car there on the inside but my car went straight trying to turn near the crest. If you think going down the corkscrew part of it is a thrill, try it in the dirt over he hill. Fortunately, I was not in my Coupe but in my SCCA Austin Healey Sprite. It already has a few race battle scars.

sreams

Reaction score

I've got a stock M30B35 installed with injection removed. It has dual Weber DGEVs and the original intake manifolds port matched to the B35 head. Much care has been taken in jetting the carbs. Butt dyno and real dyno results have me thinking the larger Weber 38s probably wouldn't give me much, if any more power. Each carb is effectively feeding a 1.7L 3-cylinder engine. I'm running the B35 exhaust manifolds with a 2.5" exhaust and Magnaflow mufflers. The belt-driven radiator fan has been removed and I am running a slim 16" electric puller fan instead. The temp gauge stays below 1/2 for the entire track day, even on very hot days.

I have Carl Nelson's springs and Bilstein shocks. Large ST swaybars front and rear. I normally run 16x7.5" wheels on the street, but I have a set of BBS RS740 wheels (17x8) for the track which currently have Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires on them. This was my first track day trying this wheel/tire setup out. Traction was a bit sketchy the first session out, but improved greatly as the day went on.

sreams

Reaction score
great line throughout the whole track: back on throttle before the apexes, full use of track-out space. Seems like you could take the braking up another tenth.

Agreed. I'm probably a bit timid to push the car much further. So far, in about ten years of doing track days, I have only put two wheels off once. There is definitely more room to get faster, but I am content to just drive quickly and have fun.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an exciting run over the Crow's Nest (Corkscrew?). I was trying to pass a slower car there on the inside but my car went straight trying to turn near the crest.

There are two turns I saw with a blind approach and setup. I love stuff like that but it also scares the crap outta me.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It shows how capable these cars are with some basic upgrades... especially when you compare it to the 2nd 911, lots of drama in front of you to not let you over take them in the turns.

sreams

Reaction score
It shows how capable these cars are with some basic upgrades... especially when you compare it to the 2nd 911, lots of drama in front of you to not let you over take them in the turns.

The second 911 was actually my friend's. He's been coming out to track days with me for the past year. The last part of that last lap was under a checkered flag, so we were actually heading to the exit. That said... if I had posted the entire video of this session, I actually lapped him :)

Edit: After looking back at the entire video... he was black flagged on the first lap for cutting a corner while entering the track... so I didn't -actually- lap him.

Last edited: