Top Bolt Filter Housing question

acat2002

Reaction score
I've got a later top-bolt mounting filter housing on my M30. ('73 CS)
Didn't realize it was a top-bolt until I went to change the oil. Consequently, the two Mahle OX-51 oil filters I had ordered several months ago are useless to me (too wide). Need Mahle OX-41.

My questions is this: what range of cars came through with Mahle OX-41 filters correct for the top-bolt style? Any place I go to order a Mahle filter whether on line or auto-parts store can only order with the make/year/model. Wish I could simply ask for the part number.

Also, anyone need to OX-51 filters (free) just pay postage.

acat2002

Reaction score
I've got a later top-bolt mounting filter housing on my M30. ('73 CS)
Didn't realize it was a top-bolt until I went to change the oil. Consequently, the two Mahle OX-51 oil filters I had ordered several months ago are useless to me (too wide). Need Mahle OX-41.

My questions is this: what range of cars came through with Mahle OX-41 filters correct for the top-bolt style? Any place I go to order a Mahle filter whether on line or auto-parts store can only order with the make/year/model. Wish I could simply ask for the part number.

Also, anyone need to OX-51 filters (free) just pay postage.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
filters

Hi acat, sure, I'll take them; I could use one right now in fact. I'm in NC at 28655, whatcha need for shipping? Drop me an email, thanks, Dave

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
filters

Hi acat, sure, I'll take them; I could use one right now in fact. I'm in NC at 28655, whatcha need for shipping? Drop me an email, thanks, Dave

acat2002

Reaction score
you got em Dave - first come-first served

I'll PM you when I get a chance to see what the shipping will be....

acat2002

Reaction score
you got em Dave - first come-first served

I'll PM you when I get a chance to see what the shipping will be....

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Bmw part # for the Mahle OX-41 is 11429063138. This filter is used on all big 6 M30/M90 engines that were fitted on the 5/6/7 series cars from 1978 onwards.

Both my coupe (top bolt) and my 88 M6 (bottom bolt) use the Mahle OX-41 filter. There is also an equivalent filter from Mann.

The OX-41 is a very common off the shelf part. I usually just get them from my local Bmw repair shop.

Bert

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Bmw part # for the Mahle OX-41 is 11429063138. This filter is used on all big 6 M30/M90 engines that were fitted on the 5/6/7 series cars from 1978 onwards.

Both my coupe (top bolt) and my 88 M6 (bottom bolt) use the Mahle OX-41 filter. There is also an equivalent filter from Mann.

The OX-41 is a very common off the shelf part. I usually just get them from my local Bmw repair shop.

Bert

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the top bolt myself....

When ordering filters - I just pick a 1980 E12 as my car to fool the system...

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the top bolt myself....

When ordering filters - I just pick a 1980 E12 as my car to fool the system...

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
acat2002 said:
Ended up getting Mann filters because they came with the O-rings and drain plug crush ring as well.

The Mahle filters come with a large o-ring and crush seals also.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
acat2002 said:
Ended up getting Mann filters because they came with the O-rings and drain plug crush ring as well.

acat2002

Reaction score
bert35csi said:

Funny, the two Mahle filters I received from USautoparts did NOT come with anything other than a box! Maybe it depends on where you get them.

acat2002

Reaction score
bert35csi said:

Funny, the two Mahle filters I received from USautoparts did NOT come with anything other than a box! Maybe it depends on where you get them.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI - I favor two parts houses (http://www.autohausaz.com and http://www.importeccatalog.com )
$4.90 each (with shipping adding $8 or so for my address)

Free shipping on orders over $50 though - I am always able to gather up enough other goodies to make it past that threshold...
hehe- With seven cars - I almost could open my own used car lot....

:)

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI - I favor two parts houses (http://www.autohausaz.com and http://www.importeccatalog.com )
$4.90 each (with shipping adding $8 or so for my address)

Free shipping on orders over $50 though - I am always able to gather up enough other goodies to make it past that threshold...
hehe- With seven cars - I almost could open my own used car lot....

:)