tool tray

tazio03

Reaction score
I need a tool tray for my coupe, does anybody know if any other models fit this particular car (635cs or 733i ??)thanks

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Restored tool tray

you may buy a restored tool tray from www.coupeking.com
I would not store any tools in it at the 30+ year old plastic breaks very easily. I was looking into creating new toolboxed that could actually be used to store tools but they would likely be made of fiberglas and I don't know if they would be any better in the long run...

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
...and if you are fortunate you might find a tray and tools for around $450.00 ...
or a bit more depending on condition and inclusion of the holy grail of e9 tools,
the pair of original Red Screwdrivers...

Honolulu

Reaction score
Wasn't there a Bavaria tool tray that was the same? I THINK that's what I have, and without looking at another coupe, I couldn't tell it was different.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Toolboxes

Coupes and Bavarias used the same toolboxes. They changed to the one-piece design for the 1974 model year.

The one-piece design was used, with some variations, through at least the E28 5 series and E24 6 series. I'm thinking of figuring out how to adapt the one-piece box to fit my 72s as they are definitely more durable than the original two-piece boxes. That makes as much sense to me as carrying the tools in a roll-up bag outside of an empty toolbox.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a new, in the original parts bag Bavaria tool kit. It does NOT in my 74 CSi! I tried.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
This rack of tool trays at CoupeKing makes perhaps an interesting image to comment on...?

1193114123.jpg

i.e. i am sure there's something there for everyone!

Cheers!

Ran

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Here's pics comparing tool boxes from a 73 Bavaria and a pre 74 CS(not sure which year).Look identical to me.

Attachments

• toolboxbottom.jpg
    toolboxbottom.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 100
  • toolboxes.jpg
    toolboxes.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 88
  • toolbox.jpg
    toolbox.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 92
  • toolboxes1.jpg
    toolboxes1.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 90

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I also think the e3 and e9 tool trays were identical thru `73. Here's mine.

Attachments

• CIMG3664.jpg
    CIMG3664.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 81