Tool Kit Auction

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I'm correct (which I am never sure off..) it would mean that a full correct tray would fetch, what, 3500 usd? More?

I wouldn’t make that leap. I think that you would struggle to sell your perfect set with a mint tool tray for $2,000. You could perhaps commission (20%) Alec Cartio to do a drone shot of your tool tray, and perhaps have him throw together a piano number.

“The 1973 toolkit was exceptionally rare. Only 6,00 coupes were produced in that year. Combine this with the fact that only 400 coupes had an internal combustion engine that required the elusive spark plug tool. On top of this, only 20 toolkits were installed on a Polaris Silver car as was this tool kit”.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
strange times.... for the price of a toolbox now , once upon a time i could buy a complete car ...... o_O

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I agree with @Oldbmwcoupes. These kits are of high quality and are of a time when owner's actually checked plug gaps and changed points. It's a key part of the time period of this model. As a drop down item in a trunk, its visually very appealing and a great conversation starter. Regarding values, I think $2500 is still really low cost. If you look at comparable Porsche tool kits it's still cheap. Ditto Mercedes SL's. Both have really low cost vinyl and cloth roll ups. This case alone speaks to BMW's quality. It's dirt cheep when compared to any Ferrari tool prices of the early 1970s. Someday these E9 tool kits will be $5000.00 -appropriate and proportionate when considering the E9's rising values.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's a key part of the time period of this model. As a drop down item in a trunk, its visually very appealing and a great conversation starter.
I'd go as far to say that it is a signature feature of the E9 (and E3 BTW). How many manufacturers (then or now) lined the inner trunk lid AND sunk a quite complete, custom cased tool kit in the upholstered liner?

Storage Andy

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently bought a tool kit and holder from a lead from this group. Thanks guys. The holder was brand new and came in an original BMW box. All the tools and everything else was original and all there. The holder that came with my car when I bought it was usable, but broken around the area where the big screw holds it to the trunk. I had been looking for a while just for the tools, but finally broke down and spent the money. I am happy that I did. But it's all going to probably sit in my closet unless I take the car to a show. I am too nervous to break the new holder. Based on the final price of the auction on BAT. I am a very happy camper.