Took my 3.0cs to Laguna Seca...

sreams

Reaction score
This is a followup to my previous video from Thunderhill Raceway. Laguna Seca has pretty strict sound restrictions (90db at 50ft), so I was a little afraid to make the trip, but there were no issues. Here are two clean laps of this wonderful track. BTW... that's a 911 Turbo I catch up to part way through the video :)

gwittman

Reaction score
Laguna Seca is a very fun track. I ran it a couple times many years ago in my 2800CS at BMW club high speed driving school events. I also ran it many times in my SCCA Austin Healey Sprite race car. The most recent was at the 2014 SCCA Runoff in which I only finished around 9th due to the brakes fading severely and the right rear bearings were failing. The camber of the rear tire was changing about +/- 1 degree.

I also ran that track once in a race with a broken drive axle. It popped while going to the grid but I didn't know it. I found out when we got the green flag and all I got was a lot of smoke with one tire spinning while the second place qualifier sailed by me. I learned to drive with one driving wheel through the race and with the help of a full course yellow to get me caught back up, I was able to pass on the last lap to come in first in class.

You look to carry some nice and consistent lines through the corners. The 911 Turbo could improve on that from what I could see. It handled the straights very well.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sreams

THANKS for posting. Loved riding with you on those two laps. Impressive performance by both 'you' and the 'old girl'. I concluded the turbo driver is either inexperienced or not very skilled, as he/she allowed you to catch up through all the corners, but used the massive HP to pull away significantly on the front straight. Been to a couple of Vintage Races at LS during the Monterey/Pebble Extravaganza, and it truly is a classic track. Virginia International Raceway has a downhill curves section not too dissimilar from the corkscrew.

Never got to drive LS, but have driven Road America, Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen and Virginia Int'l, Lime Rock and a few others quite a few times over the 15 years I was doing the Drivers Ed program (retired from that hobby about 3 years ago, shortly after the 77th birthday). Since my driving was most commonly with the PCA, I've 'tried' to harass those turbos many times, but never very successfully! The 928 was competitive with comparable vintage 911's, but not with the 930's, or the computerized later models.

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I never get tired of race videos, especially POV aspects and The Corkscrew!

Loved it.

Ed