Timing Considerations

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Had a couple days in the hospital sorry to reply late. Got an old fashion timing light (like me). The flywheel on the 3.5 may have the same number of teeth as the 3.0 need to count. No Meth damage!! I did take the car for a test ride just now, there is a noticeable improvement in acceleration (almost a WOW) up to about 5200 RPM then it starts to flatten out a bit. Got to 6000 RPM. Need to re-sync the carbs and adjust idle as this distributor has much finer control of the ignition than my Precambrian Malory. The acceleration up to 5000 RPM is very impressive improvement. As I become more familiar with the program APP tweaking will probably help.

So sounds like a new timing light is in order based upon your feedback. You all are a lot of fun to converse with had the car 40+ years still learning THANKS AND KEEP IT COMING!!

Regards

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't flog an old engine....
5500 rpm is more than enough.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Boy I agree I am an old engine and wish I get to 3000. Looks like this car likes the torque band to 5000 as previously usually shift by 4800 this set up brings it much quicker.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got an old fashion timing light
So in that case, based on the 123 curve I sent you, you should see the "Z" ball at 1700 rpm, if you don't then advance or retard your distributor until you do, making sure you are seeing the "Z" ball and not the "TO" ball! That's why I paint one red and the other white. A new light with dial back feature will allow you to check this at idle (using the "TO" ball) which is MUCH easier to do.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'll check at 1700 RPM for Z the 3.5 L flywheel does not have balls just hash marks. Guess the comments on number of teeth on the flywheel had some interesting responses. I'm from the state that termed the phrase Hillbillys that's why we call it a tooth brush not a teeth brush.