Timing Considerations

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whilst installing a new dist. I have not used the crankshaft damper timing mark previously as it can only be seen in a static position not with strobe.
Aligned the damper mark with the mark on the casting housing. Having established where no. one cylinder fires and assume this is TDC? Then check the flywheel and no balls are evident or marks. I can use the strobe on the fly wheel and find the timing marks on testing.

What is the relationship between the TDC crank pulley vs the flywheel marks?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I painted two timing marks on the harmonic balancer, one representing TDC, and the other representing 36° BTDC. To do this, I made a timing tab out of an old differential tag and attached it to the block using a bolt near the alternator mount. I set the engine to TDC using the engraved TDC mark on the balancer and the index on the timing cover. I then painted a white mark on the timing tag and extended it into the balancer. I measured 10% of the balancer circumference and made a mark on the balancer representing 36° BTDC. Now, when I time my motor, I just rev it up to 3500 rpm or so and set the mechanical advance to 36° BTDC. This is much easier than peering through a small hole for a BB flying by at 90 mph. You can easily see the timing tab in the picture.

bmwtimingmark.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The crank makes two complete revolutions to one on the cam. Turn it another 360 degrees. Better yet, pull valve cover and see if both #1 valves are closed and mark on back of cam it centered.

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got the Z mark statically set on the flywheel the rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug wire? Assuming the cam is in proper orientation.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you will be 20* off

TO on Damper
TO on flywheel
Rotor pointed at mark on distributor

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further reading the fly wheel needs to be a TDC mark the rotor points to #1 I will add one additional flywheel mark 1/2 between Z and TO as a 10° mark for reference.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Further reading the fly wheel needs to be a TDC mark the rotor points to #1 I will add one additional flywheel mark 1/2 between Z and TO as a 10° mark for reference.
and when at TDC your harmonic balancer should have a mark that lines up with the notch on the lower timing chain cover. Paint that line also. I use red paint for all things TDC and white for advance Z ball

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
At 500 RPM the flywheel marks 0° at 1050 RPM flywheel marks about 15° at 2100 RPM at Z mark 22° I noted 8 flywheel teeth between TO and Z mark about 2.75° per tooth that would be about 13 teeth to 36° mark @3000 RPM? Maybe I am getting this? This curve is based upon example from Stevehouse.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At 500 RPM the flywheel marks 0° at 1050 RPM flywheel marks about 15° at 2100 RPM at Z mark 22° I noted 8 flywheel teeth between TO and Z mark about 2.75° per tooth that would be about 13 teeth to 36° mark @3000 RPM? Maybe I am getting this? This curve is based upon example from Stevehouse.
Let's take a step back. What kind of timing light are you using - does it have an adjustable dial back feature or is it just a light?