Time to out myself!!!

wolfturbo

Reaction score
Greetings to All~

I am a So Cal motorhead with a long history involving vintage Porsches and Ferraris. The looks of the E9 BMW's have always talked to me and I think the cars are aging rather gracefully. In fact, when staring at a 3.0 from behind, I can't help but be reminded of a Ferrari 330GTC.

With the recent escalation of 911 prices, I think the 3.0's are grossly undervalued in today's market. Thus my search began......

.....and ended with my purchase of a 1972 3.0CSi previously owned by an occasional poster here by the handle of snj015.

I flew to Ohio to inspect the car and realized that most of my criteria were met: it was a real Italian market CSi that was originally painted tundra green. I liked the fact that it had been properly converted to a 5 speed, had headers and exhaust upgraded, refinished wood and reupholstered interior, chrome fender trim, 16 inch Alpinas and a fully sorted out suspension. Oh yeah... she runs superbly too!!!!

Now the challenges... she needs some love! At some point, if the market continues to firm up on these cars like I expect, a full restoration will be economically justifiable. In the meantime, I just need to freshen up what I can without getting buried and simply enjoy her as a nice driver. I will be looking to do the following:

- replace upper and lower dash
- add a tool kit
- convert to leather interior
- put in the Euro speedo
- Fix the clock like every other CS owner!
- Lots of little electrical fixes

I am new to the CSi world, but I really enjoy resurrecting old cars in need of a little love. I hope to learn a lot on this board and make some new friends along the way. Best regards to all!

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 390

wolfturbo

Reaction score
Two more pics. I am not sure how to post full sized attached pics on this site, versus thumbnail shots.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.jpg
    IMG_3398.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3403.jpg
    IMG_3403.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 331

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome!
You probably know you can get the tool box new from BMW for about $300 then start looking for tools. Do you have or do you need a euro speedo/odo?
Best,
Stan

loloe13

Reaction score
welcome Rob,
you coupe looks very nice.
I can see it has few great add-ons already, like the the custom front strut bar and the little AV port for the radio. nice.....
Gavin

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Great find!

Those cloth interiors are a real head scratcher. Mine are an awful pink burgundy cloth/leather combo...not a good look!

Overall very clean! The dash is beautiful

wolfturbo

Reaction score
Welcome!
You probably know you can get the tool box new from BMW for about $300 then start looking for tools. Do you have or do you need a euro speedo/odo?
Best,
Stan

My rear decklid has the tool tray, just no tools. I need to bone up on what is actually correct for these cars. I assume they are NLA from the dealers, right?

Got a Euro Speedo. Just need to see if I can put it in - I understand it is the most difficult gauge to gain access to!

jmackro

Reaction score
My rear decklid has the tool tray, just no tools. I need to bone up on what is actually correct for these cars. I assume they are NLA from the dealers, right?

Actually, many of the tools are still available. For example, the Heyco wrenches came with many BMW and Mercedes models so ebay is awash with them. But yes, the red-handled screwdrivers and a few other bits will be tough. Someone here was reproducing the screwdrivers a few months ago.

Got a Euro Speedo. Just need to see if I can put it in - I understand it is the most difficult gauge to gain access to!

The gauges aren't that hard to remove/replace. Just work left to right, taking out each to create a hole which provides access to get at the gauge to its right. But sure, if you try to take out only the speedo (or clock) you will go nuts.

jamesw

Reaction score
I need to get a new tool tray and the finishing panels for the underside of the trunk lid. Anyone have the part numbers handy? If not no worries, I'll just search the RealOEM.

Cheers
James

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tool box shell is 71111102916

I need to get a new tool tray and the finishing panels for the underside of the trunk lid. Anyone have the part numbers handy? If not no worries, I'll just search the RealOEM.

Cheers
James

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The clock can be easily removed by itself. Like Jay says, the speedo is best done by working left to right. I found the trick to the speedo is once you get the cable and wires off and the unit unscrewed and free, rotate it 180 degrees so the back is facing you, then it can be guided downward through the metalwork and out, using your best Obi-Wan mojo along the way.

But sure, if you try to take out only the speedo (or clock) you will go nuts.

jamesw

Reaction score
Thanks Steve,

I found the tool box many places but can't locate the part numbers for the masonite/vinyl covered panels on RealOEM :-(

Cheers
James

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those are:

and of course NLA :cry:

I think members have recovered them with the replacement elephant skin that is available by the yard.

Thanks Steve,

I found the tool box many places but can't locate the part numbers for the masonite/vinyl covered panels on RealOEM :-(

Cheers
James

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
The burled walnut looks outstanding... Just like everything else on your car. I think cloth seats are an acquired taste. Most don't hold up well and often detract in a big way. Conversely, if they're in good shape, they are all the more rare and really can add some appeal IMO.

Great car!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fuel filter on a csi belongs on right of battery tray attached to the tray.
Let us know if you want pics!
I'm a sucker for tundra ...
You need a proper battery ground strap!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You should sell those cloth seats. They are cool.
Don't sell the cloth! I am a sucker for almost any original BMW cloth, especially the two color inserts. Classy and cool. Literally and figuratively. The repro elephant skin is okay at best. The differences are obvious to the eye and the finger tip. If you can find some original, a good upholsterer can take them back to almost perfect. My guy spent two hours in my trunk and now it looks showroom perfect. The molded panels for the shock towers need some fiddling if you need to buy new.

Beautiful coupe. Great find. And yes, pics of the plane?

Steve