Time to make a 2008 CS Calendar!

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The use of big impact backgrounds (Grand Canyon, Parthenon, Alpha Centuri) is cheating!!!!
Maybe, but it's pretty cool! -- something about experience and treachery will always overcome youth and skill comes to mind! :twisted:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you like more than one photo of the same car we can inset some smaller pics. These are cool for close-up detail shots of emblems, unique features, etc. The photo below is also a good example of an image that doesn't have enough resolution...

Dan

calendar-1.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Most people are providing nice high resolution photos. So far we have only 12 different entries. At this rate I think all we need to do is somehow vote on a cover girl. Alternately, everyone can just "trust me" to make calendars and to do what I can to achieve "fair" representation.

As for cheating, are lunar shots permitted?
dd945fa01c16e5f2c2f838a32bb61eb5.jpg

DJSimca

Reaction score
jhjacobs said:
At this rate I think all we need to do is somehow vote on a cover girl.

I vote for voting :)

Let us know how we vote and let's get the calendar ordered :D

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I think that we should try to pick 13 or 14 pictures at a minimum. However, if a picture is oriented as a Portrait then another picture can be paired with it assuming a 8.5x11 x 2 panels format (typical calendar). As such, I recommend that we either:

A. Vote for a Cover Girl and I'll do what I can to include at least one shot from each contestant.
B. Vote for all shots we like. At one point I proposed that each voter get 100 points to allocate to 1 photo (100 points) or 100 photos (1 point each) or anything in between. Based on point totals a rank ordering can be achieved.
C. Come up with another program

Remember, we don't have a ballot box and we don't have any serious way to conduct a "fair and private" vote. So, we can:

A. Vote in a thread
B. Vote by email
C. Come up with a voting page (this would require some hard work for Dan
D. Come up with another idea.

I am more than happy to collect (via email) and publish vote totals and keep identities private. I would also appreciate other ideas and assistance.

Also, we now need to seriously consider some hard dates. I propose:
1. All photos need to be submitted by midnight Dec 5.
2. I will have all submitted photos placed in the Gallery for viewing by Dec midnight December 6 with a Cut-Off notice
3. Voting can start once the Cut-Off notice is posted.
4. Voting will stop by midnight Dec 8.
5. I will try to post results by midnight Dec 9 and create a new gallery of only the "winners."
6. I will try to post a gallery of the Cover and Monthly layouts as soon as it is complete.
7. I will place an order for XX calendars ASAP after this and open the door for orders.

PLEASE VISIT THE "HOW MANY CALENDARS DO YOU WANT?" THREAD AND HELP ME GET A REASONABLE COUNT.

Current set of submissions:
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=1-1--30CSi1972-1024.jpg

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I think that we should consider BLUMAX as our Cover Girl (boy?) assuming we can get a first rate photo. After all, I think there is little doubt that he is the highest mileage coupe out there and he has been pampered the whole time.

I must apologize to some of you who sent me photos that I didn't respond to. For some reason my mail system put them into a different folder and I just noticed this evening. We now have 15 submitters and over 80 photos. I am hoping for a photo of BLUMAX to blow us all away! 8)

iconoclast6

Reaction score
I too vote for the Bluemax as our cover. Further I think each car included should have a 1 paragraph (3 sentences) blurb about the owner and the car.

Also I think we should focus on the cars, in all their glory, and leave the restoration pics for the e9 gallery.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
As for a paragraph about car and owner, this might be a challenge. I would be happy to see:

Owner Name: First / Last Initial (example: John J.)
Year and Model: (example: 1971 3.0CS)

So far I have this level of information for less that half of the submissions. Fortunately there is still time. :?

The vendor I am thinking about using has some limitations on how far the calendar can be customized (most vendors only accept 12-13 photo and a name). With the one I am investigating I think each photo can be labeled. I think a small photo (150 pixels) can be included in the actual calendar area (vendor logo - I was thinking about our E9-Driven image). I also think that there is room for 4 lines of limited length text each month. On the back it is possible to add more photos. Of course I can always add a text overlay box directly on the image and do whatever we want. For details please visit: http://www.createphotocalendars.com/downloadsoftware1.htm - you can even download the calendar builder software.

I would also like to point out that so far other than Dan's gracious help I am the only one doing leg work. I've never done a calendar and I only hope I will do justice to the project.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Calendar Pics--OLD BLU

I'll be happy to get 3 or 4 fresh hi-res photos of BLUMAX--BTW--he knows his gender and he's a HE since about 1978 when first named with his personal California blue plate--actually BLUMAX1.

seriously--he would be flattered and pleased to be considered as a worthy candidate for being the cover boy on the calendar--and promises to put his best bumper forward for this special treatment.

pics on the way in a couple of days

Of course I'll want calendars--two would be fine

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
cover

Blue max on cover - no question here.

Be sure to have a rusty project car for Dec or Jan

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I'm slowly making progress on the calendar logistics. I found a local print shop that will humor me with lots of silly requests and fiddley requirements. It looks like we can get a nice calendar done on 11x8.5" (A-size) gloss paper with thick cover and back and a spiral binding (to hang on wall as 11x17 with picture on top and monthly calendar on bottom) at a price at or below $12 each.

After thinking about it some more I am going to propose that we throw in a few extra pages (maybe 2-4 front/back) with more photos; basically seasonal or topical collections. This will allow us to select 12 monthly feature cars, a cover car, and then everyone else can still be represented! 8)

Keep the ideas rolling in. I like the idea of devoting December to rust. However, it might make sense to add Winter - Spring - Summer - Fall collage themes. Winter could be rust, spring could be engines, summer interiors, and Fall project cars!? This would allow us to glorify fine coupe examples and celebrate the process of restoration!

Malc

Reaction score
Having had a rummage through all the pictures, great stuff!
I think there were 83, that leaves another 282 required.......
Why?
Well what about one of those "picture a day" tear off calendars like the old Garry Larson cartoons :shock:
Ok I'll go and hide in my shed again :oops:
Malc

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Malc, sort of like stem cell research, all I need is a few lines and I can create 365 new images like above! :p The only down side is the cost. The printers generally want about $0.8/side (A size) and this would be about 92 sides (assuming a 4:1 cut down) which would be another $0.1 per cut ($0.2 total) and glue up. Yes, I think I could these these done for less than $100 each with shipping! For you folks with pounds it would be a real bargain at less than 50 pounds! Now if you want black and white or cartoon quality coupes....

Malc

Reaction score
I'll continue to hide in my shed :wink: ..... I was kind of teasing :oops:
Off tomorrow to do the Galloway Hills rally on Sunday!
Navigating for somebody who might take me on for the Britsh Rally Championship next year :p
Nice and wet and windy
Malc

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Malc - I know you were teasting, so was I!

Please do stay in your shed though, drink some Stella and finish up your coupe; having tpo many ideas is not good for you. I'm hiding in my coupe this weekend putting in new carpet. I'd also brought a small space heater in with me to help stay warm. I find the combination of heat, contact cement, and a confined space rather like .... well ... maybe my high schools days. At least it beats being in the house with the wife and daughter where I am seriously outnumbered. :roll: If you don't see me post for a few days send the medics.