Thinking of reveneering the wood ...

FastCougar

Reaction score
So, I have the door panels removed as I'm working on cleaning up the window mechanisms and troubleshooting the passenger's side window not going up. So I'm sitting here looking at the wood veneers and it's eating at my brain ... "I know you can reveneer these and have a knock dead interior" says my brain. What are your thoughts on this wood?

13880__28052.jpg

for this interior

9206100256_01562ca278_o.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Style

Flashy veneers are plentiful. The original designers chose the original veneer for. Reason. No harm in deviating for personal reasons but I think it will detract from the car if not in the original wood or if the rest of the ****pit doesn't have appropriate design cues that work with the new veneer.

Personally, I think pomelle mahogany is a bit too strong for a stock E9 interior. It the steering wheel and seat style were a bit more exuberant then I think it would work for me. But then I'm an older guy who prefers subtle harmony and am out of tune with the younger generation and their tattoos and coffee can sized exhausts.

Was just at C&C in Irvine, and while its not my cup of tea I do acknowledge that the things younger folks do with their cars have their artistic appeal.

Also, use an adhesive and top coat that're up to automotive conditions (heat, cold, uv exposure).

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you are selling the car, why re-veneer it? If keeping it, I'd do the structural parts first.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I re veneered my dash with carpathian elm burl.
It came out very good and a near perfect match to my Nardi steering wheel in color.
Shifter is in leather with shift pattern.

It is yours to make the way you want. Be tasteful and think hard about it before you pull the plug. A lot of work in removal and install.

Beautiful patterned wood shown.

steve

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, I have the door panels removed as I'm working on cleaning up the window mechanisms and troubleshooting the passenger's side window not going up. So I'm sitting here looking at the wood veneers and it's eating at my brain ... "I know you can reveneer these and have a knock dead interior" says my brain. What are your thoughts on this wood?

13880__28052.jpg

for this interior
looks like madrone or carpathian elm burl. which looks a little british - austin healey or jaguar. a fine grain pomele figured wood wood be better than a burl - a fine quilt figure ... perhaps makore pomele. but, i think a linear grain with a beeswing figure or possibly a block modeled figure would be better. some woods that are interesting are figured walnut, andiroba, or for a lighter wood, you could try eucalyptus or quarter figured anigre. anigre. for an oranger wood, try fiddleback makore or for a darker wood etimoe. the important thing to get a linear look (especially on the door wood) is to use a quartered wood. plain sliced veneers will be more random.

Attachments

• Anigre.jpg
    Anigre.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 82
  • ETIMOE^QUARTERED_FIGURED.jpg
    ETIMOE^QUARTERED_FIGURED.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 89
  • EUCALYPTUS^QUARTERED_FIGURED.jpg
    EUCALYPTUS^QUARTERED_FIGURED.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 88
  • WALNUT^QUARTERED[4.jpg
    WALNUT^QUARTERED[4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 98
  • macore_rotary_cut_pomele.jpg
    macore_rotary_cut_pomele.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a few more favorites - sometimes a flatcut figured wood can also be pretty - looks more like a piece of lumber

Attachments

• cherry_flatcut_figured.jpg
    cherry_flatcut_figured.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 83
  • sapele_quartered_fiddleback.jpg
    sapele_quartered_fiddleback.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 81
  • walnut_flatcut_figured.jpg
    walnut_flatcut_figured.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 87
  • eucalyptus_pomele.jpg
    eucalyptus_pomele.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 85

jmackro

Reaction score
Flashy veneers are plentiful. The original designers chose the original veneer for. Reason.

I'm in agreement with bfeng. No offense to those who like it, but to me that burled wood just looks tacky. In addition, if you ever plan on selling your coupe don't assume your prospective buyers are going to favor that "1960's Las Vegas" look.

Last edited:

FastCougar

Reaction score
Well, considering the front end rust, I'm trying to resolve all the other minor issues with the budget that my father gave me to remedy the rust (we thought it would only be surface rust due to how limited it has been exposed to rain). Since the budget was only $500, this leaves fixing things that I can that will take away someone's ability to bargain down the price further. Things like replacing the front window motors and re-veneering (not much on the interior other than the visor attaching clip). I figured while I had the interior apart I might as well redo the wood since it's starting to de-laminate in spots. I think for $30K with some rust in the front end, the rest of the car should be complete and in great shape.

That said, I can see the points about the burl being more British in nature and I think if I were to keep it, that would be my choice. However, since it will be sold, I would prefer to keep it as close to stock as possible ... I just love working on this car and got carried away with a little projection of my desires.