Thermostat housing to clear new triple Webers - Korman?

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On the Korman website, they mention a thermostat housing that (hopefully) clears the new Webers but there is no photo or price
Anyone have these and new style Webers? Cost, photo, fit?

Any other solutions?

I found a photo of a space between the housing and head, but that wouldn't do it, and a photo of adding a tube with a dent in it, meaning extend the end of the housing and dent the area around the screw

Thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the Korman housing is just shy of $200. It clears the carb. I think @Markos made a spacer.

@mark99 and I are working on this offline. I think you are correct about the korman costs. I bought a new housing and I just might clear the carb if I trim down the end of the interfering needle valve.

The spacer needed to be about 1” to be effective. Most waterjet places have a steep setup cost. Mark is cutting some other parts for us/me out of state. If it makes sense to do an aluminum spacer I’m up for it. It isn’t quite as elegant as a modified neck.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Mark,
Looking at it, just spacing the housing out won't solve the problem, unless the screw was severely shortened

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Mark,
Looking at it, just spacing the housing out won't solve the problem, unless the screw was severely shortened

It will if you go out an inch. I can snap some pics later. I don’t really want an expensive inch long spacer though. We also have two different intake manifolds which could make a difference.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
right, I think the manifolds I have are very similar to the Alpina ones, the UK Mark sent me drawings and dimension
If I look along the housing I can see the the screw is within the ID of the housing, so it could go out forever and still interfere
I will can the other other sources on Monday

2275xxx

Reaction score
Alpina manifolds with Dellorto DHLA45s.
If I remember well, the spacer was 15mm thick.

3FC882AD-6527-41A4-B55B-3A0FC2ED070B.jpeg

Last edited:

2275xxx

Reaction score
It would be easier with the VGS type of manifolds.
Their shape gives more space for the thermostat housing and more space for the brake booster.

9FB54619-8BC3-4A20-87B6-E5557A871ADE.jpeg

AD3B9495-B8B2-4655-BE42-FF595AAB5799.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It would be easier with the VGS type of manifolds.
Their shape gives more space for the thermostat housing and more space for the brake booster.

True, but the VGS manifold won’t work with the Alpina airbox due to the offset center carb.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it is all manifold and t-stat housing specific. With the Korman manifold and a new housing, a 25mm spacer would work. It looks like a 13mm spacer would do it though.

26mm
294FC0F4-F518-428D-A98C-2FC2DCE04BF5.jpeg

13mm
A0B75FA3-DDBE-4551-8BD0-0A18FA63048D.jpeg

Last edited:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Different manifold and older Webers but still needed a spacer with the newer t stat housing

A963B50C-BDC4-4216-BC27-D4632E653DB2.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recommend that you actually test the ability to use the idle balancing screw before you finalize anything. Note that it is difficult to manipulate this screw from the top as the screw is actually canted toward the radiator. You need more room than you might initially think.

For reference, here is a picture of my setup with the Korman manifold and tstat housing. Note how close the idle air balancing screw is to the tstat housing, even with the Korman modifications:

20170419_165423.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack but why are there so many bungs in the newer style housing?

Quite obnoxious right? I wouldn’t mind having a dedicated one for the auxiliary temp gauge. Four seems excessive. Anyway, I think I may be able to leverage the ‘71 housing.