The wonderful age of the disclaimer.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife has just taken delivery of a Genesis GV60. Since she has never read a manual in her life that duty always falls to me be it a car or a toaster.

The GV60 comes with a 536 page manual, quite a tome. Just browsing and I came across a few interesting items in the 163 page "Driver assistance systems" section - subsection "Limitations of forward collision avoidance assist". It reads like a Monty Python sketch.

"Forward collision avoidance assist may not operate properly, or it may operate unexpectedly under the following circumstances" And here it goes into seven pages of "circumstances".
A selected few -
*A vehicle, pedestrian or cyclist suddenly cuts in front". Well I thought that's what collision avoidance is for. Anyway -
*"Driving in vast areas where there are few vehicles or structures (for example, desert, meadow, suburb, etc.)". Suburb! And why is a vast area any different?
*The cyclist in front is on a bicycle made of material that is not detected by the front radar". Whoa, what about the actual cyclist?
*"
The vehicle in front is detected late". Isn't that the point?
*"The vehicle in front is bent out of shape". That one has got to be a slip in joke surely. But then it's followed up a couple of items later with "The vehicle in front has an unusual shape".
*"Driving in a car park". Which is where a lot of low speed avoidable collisions occur.
The next two really get me though -
*"Driving on a road with trees or streetlights".
*"Driving on an incline road, curved road, etc". That "etc" though. Why didn't they just save themselves and any poor soul that reads this manual a lot of time in this section by simply stating - "Driving anywhere, etc".