The two times brake bleeding worked

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
experienced this

a complete renewal of the hoses, and complete dismantling of the lines led to an empty brake circuit

filled the fluid back and bleed the system

the result was very poor braking

so made another try using the one man system

8D1B4BE5-9A75-405D-A651-5AF80F693082.jpeg
E5160E76-38B3-42E3-9256-DFF4BFFD7375.jpeg
C229A1E3-356E-4F5D-A15C-34582E6549B7.jpeg
B78EBCBE-F5C3-4D4C-A21A-4261CFEBDD35.jpeg
49A76C50-0A62-41C2-895C-D49CB8AEE9F4.jpeg

it worked,

brakes are normal again,

iknew this applied to coolant, two or three times,

now I confirm for brake fluid

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I always resort back to the old fashion 2 person manual brake pump and bleed to get the best brake feel even after using the one person methods (vacuum or pressure).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For about 20 years, I've used a pressure bleeder. I apply about 10-15 psi pressure to the master cylinder reservoir, then proceed with standard bleeding. I check reservoir level after each corner, removing pressure and refilling reservoir to maximum mark, then re-apply the pressure. Never had to bleed more than once, and no 'assistant' needed.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
For about 20 years, I've used a pressure bleeder. I apply about 10-15 psi pressure to the master cylinder reservoir, then proceed with standard bleeding. I check reservoir level after each corner, removing pressure and refilling reservoir to maximum mark, then re-apply the pressure. Never had to bleed more than once, and no 'assistant' needed.

Absolutely agree, tried one once and after that I just had to buy one (they're relatively cheap). I have the version that you can put about 1L of brake fluid into, then apply pressure and then you can bleed out alot before refilling. Works perfect when you're alone in the garage and so far I've never had to re-bleed afterwards, and no brake pedal pumping needed. Highly recommended.

IMG_20210703_131831_resized_20210719_084157245.jpeg

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My pressure bleeder also has the capacity to put up to about 2 liters of brake fluid in it, so it never needs to be disconnected from the brake reservoir for a complete 4 caliper bleed. I have never done this, since brake fluid is hygroscopic, and I always want the pressurized container as dry as possible. Diligent cleaning after use would probably remove all the brake fluid and return the bleeder to 'desert dry' again, but I just prefer the 'keep it dry' approach.

PS: responding to a following post from OP regarding brake system component replacement. I've used this pressure system approach on both an e9 and a Porsche 928 GTS when I've replaced all four flex hose lines to the calipers. Worked flawlessly then as well.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well i love your comments, but i explained that the 2 times was due to a complete flush of the previous brake fluid + dismounting all the hoses.

usually when every 2 years i simply replace the fluid by pouring new and removing old while bleeding, only one time is needed

this time was exceptional, i had to fill the complete system from zero, the first bleeding proved to be not enough, air bubbles trapped ? maybe
i drove the car and braking was not good
i bled it again and now is ok
so i shared my experience

venturi works very good and the reservoir upside down provides all necessary fluid while the bleeding demands it
you do not need 2 liters, one liter is enough
i prefer not to put pressure on the system and all works very well, the same bottle gets the old fluid, very clean and good

yes i need an air compressor, but hey, I do have one !

Barry.b

Reaction score
Absolutely agree, tried one once and after that I just had to buy one (they're relatively cheap). I have the version that you can put about 1L of brake fluid into, then apply pressure and then you can bleed out alot before refilling. Works perfect when you're alone in the garage and so far I've never had to re-bleed afterwards, and no brake pedal pumping needed. Highly recommended.

View attachment 169078
I have looked at those for sale on line before and they look like a really good idea , the one thought I did have was how do you know when purchasing it if it comes with the correct lid / attachment for the e9’s Reservoir, or are they all standard ??

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
My pressure bleeder also has the capacity to put up to about 2 liters of brake fluid in it, so it never needs to be disconnected from the brake reservoir for a complete 4 caliper bleed. I have never done this, since brake fluid is hygroscopic, and I always want the pressurized container as dry as possible. Diligent cleaning after use would probably remove all the brake fluid and return the bleeder to 'desert dry' again, but I just prefer the 'keep it dry' approach.

Yes, regular brake fluid is cheap so after using the bleeder you'll have some excess fluid that you'll have to get rid of. I always empty it completely after use, and the next time I need it I fill it with brand new fluid and push out all the old fluid that was stuck/left in the hose since last use.

I have looked at those for sale on line before and they look like a really good idea , the one thought I did have was how do you know when purchasing it if it comes with the correct lid / attachment for the e9’s Reservoir, or are they all standard ??

So far the lid has suited all cars I've tried it on, but I know there are other sizes as well. Will just have to order the right lid if/when the need arises.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
after using the bleeder you'll have some excess fluid that you'll have to get rid of
Does the reservoir on the car get filled to the brim when bleeding, if so, how do you remove the bleeder cap without spilling fluid all over? I hate brake fluid almost as much as coolant.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does the reservoir on the car get filled to the brim when bleeding, if so, how do you remove the bleeder cap without spilling fluid all over? I hate brake fluid almost as much as coolant.

Sometimes it's full to the brim, but not always for some reason.
Since I replace my brake fluid in all my cars every second year, I need to bleed out alot when I do it. To capture the brake fluid at each corner/caliper I bought the same style vacuum pump as @deQuincey uses, but I use it without the vacuum function since the system is already pressurized.

However, if you happen to have a reservoir filled to the brim afterwards, I simply dip the vacuum pump tip into the reservoir and remove a little brake fluid that way. Not as messy as it might sound, but I always put rags around the reservoir just in case.

EDIT: sorry, just saw that what you actually asked about was removing the cap. The reservoir might be filled to the brim, but it has never been a problem removing the cap. When you open the release valve on the brake bleeder bottle (which you must do before removing the cap) I think the fluid goes back into the bottle, leaving the resorvoir full sometimes, but not so that it gets messy when you remove the cap.
But, use rags just in case!

49A76C50-0A62-41C2-895C-D49CB8AEE9F4.jpeg

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i really do not understand why so much fuss;

this system is perfect and very clean
understand only drawback might be that you need an air compressor

1696409071053.png

this big bottle has a harness to be able to hang it from hood elements, juts to place it vertically with the tip inside the brake fluid reservoir

you fill the bottle with new fluid, and you place upside down; as you might know the level is maintained and defined by the position of the tip (you have probably experienced this by puting a bottle full of water inside a glass

1696409412903.png

at the beginning you have your big bottle full:

1696409464460.png

you start your bleeding, and at the same time you let it suck a lot more of fluid to renew it, i mean, you suck fluid in the lower bottle until you feel the system contains new fluid, then while keeping the suction you close the bleeder stud

1696409591260.png

you can forget about the big bottle, there will be enough with 1 liter, and you can do the clutch in the same round, first rears, then fronts, finally clutch

i see that there is not a better system than this (once you have an air compressor)

1696409728605.png

you check you big bottle and if you feel like, you make a second round, as the remanent fluid will not be stored again.

so, it is not only a bleeding tool, but it works well as flushing and bleeding

my 02

Attachments

• 1696409437571.png
    1696409437571.png
    414.3 KB · Views: 37

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure both systems works very well, it's just diffucult to hang a bottle over the brake fluid reservoir on some cars as the hood and hood hinge is usually right next to the reservoir cap.
In the case of an e3/e9 it's not a problem as you show us. Didn't mean to go offtopic, sorry.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure both systems works very well, it's just diffucult to hang a bottle over the brake fluid reservoir on some cars as the hood and hood hinge is usually right next to the reservoir cap.
In the case of an e3/e9 it's not a problem as you show us. Didn't mean to go offtopic, sorry.

yes,my experience is very limited

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

hey, ...but it works for e9 and i only have an e9, so it is a 100% for me

moreover, recently i have developed a simple auxiliary system that has proven to be very useful,

1696421881975.png

again maybe not valid for other cars...

but brilliant for e9 !