The Roundel is Hopeless/Clueless

Satch

Reaction score
Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa!

Jeez, you guys! I caught the cover blurb AFTER the September issue was printed---at one point we were going with a 2002 cover, but the coupe was SOOO gorgeous that we kicked the 02 over to the TOC page, and I neglected to change the blurb.

Anyway, we noted the error in the October issue. . . and again in the November issue, following half a dozen letters, mostly on the order of HOLY COW, CARLSON, ARE YOU BLIND?!

It's true that the last great coupe story I can remember was our cover story on Paul Cain's "3.8CSi." But we certainly have nothing against coupes---in fact, I am rather prejudiced, as my first BMW was a 1972 3.0CS. And I HAVE to be nice to coupe owners, or Carl Nelson won't invite me to the 4th of July party!

Frank Reed got some pretty good shots of the coupes at the BMW CCA West Coast Summer Concours, by the way---way to go, Chris! You won the BMW NA award as well as your class, if I remember correctly!---and I'll try to make sure at least one of them appears in the November issue. And yes, I think we can find room for a coupe story now and then.

But what story would that be, exactly?

I was hoping Steve Johnson would take his malaga coupe to O'Fest so I could con him into a road-trip story, but noooooo! Maybe the O'Fest concours will have some tasty examples, and we can at least get an image or two in the December issue.

I agree with whoever said that ANY member should be interested in the coupe as part of BMW's heritage, and I'm sure that SOMEBODY around here can come up with a pretty good story, something beyond "Here's my nifty car!" Just drop me a line at [email protected] and let's see if we can't work something out.

Meanwhile, I apologize again for switching the images without switching the blurbs, but at least we got a coupe on the cover. I'm afraid I am not immune to error. As somebody once said, "Please be patient---God is not finished with me yet."

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
SATCH, "THE" Satch!!! Wow, I am impressed!
OK then open the floodgates of coupe articles to the Roundel.
I have been a CCA Member off and on since 1977 when I almost traded a brand new 320i for Gordon Medenica's Glas 1600 GT BMW. A sweet car that was....but I digress.

I do have to credit the Roundel for igniting my coupe fever with the August 2000 issue.
Thanks again

Cheers,

Stan

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not every club magazine editor takes the time to personally respond to forum content. Kudo's to Satch and by extension the Roundel.

My personal take on the monthly has been that it is a professionally produced enthusiasts' publication that does a generally good job of balancing out the represented interests of the club's members and while I think the e9 is at least one of the pinnacles of the modern design era, there's a heck of a lot of other cars in the fleet to know about.

I must admit, I did let my membership lapse a couple of years ago and only renewed it when membership was the single requirement to attend the recent Carmel Valley event. Well worth the price of admission to that event and to get the first issue since with a coupe on the cover was a treat that wasn't really diminished by the lack of coupe content inside.

You know there's an opportunity for additional content in the magazine when the editor himself responds with an explanation and a solicitation for submissions from coupe owners, and you know that there's room for reasonable discourse when we get a well-argued and enthusiastic exhortation from Chicane. I hate to say it, but I agree, -quit yer whining and get on the keyboard if you want to see more coupes in the Roundel.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am the one who started this. And I am delighted by ALL the fair and balanced responses, without exception, whether they agree or disagreee.

But I take issue with Erik's accusation that I should "quit yer whining." I am on the keyboard. Another Del Val chapter member and I are planning a series of articles for the chapter newsletter. And if we had had enough coupes show up at a local car show last Sunday there would have been photos and words at the Roundel by now.

Taking issue with a pretty serious lapse by the editors is not whining.

Steve ONeill

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha!

Okay. I deserve that response from Steve. No offense meant and I shouldn't have assumed that agreeing with Chicane and paraphrasing his/her "stop whining" content would fail to offend someone. (chuckle...)

No doubt we're all capable of finding some thread of interest in an e9 near us that would make worthy reading for the Roundel membership. Have at it guys, - and hopefully we'll see some more articles from some forum members here. Cheers.

Bouliac

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm happy conversation about Roundel took a more positive turn (I thought that it would smoke out Satch as well; he and Jenny Morgan pop in now and then on the e30 ix list as well, just to keep things honest).
I especially liked Maxxfish's comments about Sam Smith and the other columnists. However, Max, I have to confess to reading all the how-to columns, I find it interesting to follow how folks analyse and solve problems on their older cars, the method is often transferable to a coupe.
As for coupe content, the "hack mechanic" had a great series of columns a couple of years ago on 1) a Jetronic conversion to his e9 coupe and 2) an overhaul of its AC. The former series ended with a classic story about how the coupe failed to start at a big social event and he had to crawl under it in front of all the parents to diagnose and repair a fuel pump failure. I'm sure we've all been in that situation, but how many of us have pulled off the big save!
Finally, any inhabitant (like myself) of an older NE central city with tiny yards and garages, can relate to the hack mechanic's strategies for juggling a half-dozen old BMWs in Boston. Doing that without pissing off the neighbors, and without freezing to death working to keep one or two functioning for the wife and kids through the winter is not unique to coupe owners.

John in Montreal with too many cars and too much snow.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Roundel

Satch,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and thanks for the compliment on my coupe, I am looking forward to the November issue.

I enjoy the Roundel and can appreciate the fact that the e36/46/90 owners who spend like there is no tomorrow have us outnumbered about 250,000 to 1. But I always also find the smaller articles enjoyable especially Mike Self's and Hack's and every once in a while there is something in the letters area concerning coupes and 02's. I agree that we coupe owners need to help create the articles like Bill Williams recently did for the 2002. I have a suggestion, I would love to see periodic articles on those who restore and help maintain our passion for these vehicles. A story on Carl Nelson or Peter Sliskovich (just to name a few) and how they got started would be a great start.

Thanks

p.s. It sure would be neat for e9coupe.com to be listed as the official coupe site recognized by BMW CCA, this is where it's happening!

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Roundel

Well Bouliac, I think you may have a point or two. I was a member in the late 70's and early 80's, and every cover was about a coupe an E12 or an '02. Perhaps the Roundel out grew me...I joined again in the early 2000's, but felt sort of betrayed, as the BMW's that represented MY passion, were no longer relevant.

If we/us start to appreciate that the marque is now about US luxury sales and not minimalist, german philosophy, then we can look at the new cars with appreciation and perhaps the Roundel as well.

k

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, c'mon guys...how many clubs produce a monthly 120-page slick magazine as a newsletter, do it monthly, and for what, 30-40 bucks a year? Gimme a break!

chicane

Reaction score
Oh, c'mon guys...how many clubs produce a monthly 120-page slick magazine as a newsletter, do it monthly, and for what, 30-40 bucks a year? Gimme a break!

Hear, hear. Not to mention club events and a nice discount to boot, unbelievable. The discount itself pays for the membership.

RogerB

Reaction score
Hear, hear. Not to mention club events and a nice discount to boot, unbelievable. The discount itself pays for the membership.

I only keep my membership (just received my 10-year pin) for the discount which as stated above pays for the membership! Most of the time, I toss the rag without reading a word of it!

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I considered dropping my membership, as the mag was focussing more and more on social and racing events, and less and less on mods and maintenance. Mike Millers articles are the sole redeeming technical aspect. Also there's way too much on the new cars (is BMWNA paying for these reviews?). But some of the bylines are GREAT (e.g., Shade Tree Mechanic), and Satch is a great writer.

So, I'm a 28 year subscriber, and intend to continue.

Plus, the subscription pays for itself each year with the discounts I occasionally need at the local stealership.

racerxx

Reaction score
I like the magazine, but I'm done with any new BMW's

I'm still a big fan of the magazine. Especially Mike Miller, new kid Sam Smith, Satch Carlson (and his politically incorrect smart ass replies), Jenny Morgan's column and even old curmudgeon Joe Chamberlain. And there are a few I usually dismiss; Rob Siegel (even though he has a cs coupe, it's just that I can't stand to hear him whine and mention his wife one more time), Bill Howard who's a techno geek and doesn't get BMW's and there driving dynamics, and sometimes when I really take a long time in my office (the bathroom), I even try to decipher Jeremy Walton's "English" and read his column.

I am, however, done with BMWs! My last one, and 7th BMW, was a 2004 M3. I really dislike the direction they are going, with the exception of the new 3 series (less the turbo). And I really dislike their current "marketing strategy", going green. The commercial's suck, the whole thing is B.S. to jump on the eco-bandwagon. Not to mention the cars just ain't what they use to be! Today they don't last as long, it's not Germany build quality, it's out-sourced with so-called life time maintenance, etc.

The last good BMWs came off the line in 1991.

Just my humble opinion, and someone who's driven BMWs for 18 years and well over a million miles.

eastsideM3

Reaction score
I believe the magazine could do a lot more to promote the brand. There is just as many people interested in the classics as the newer models. Showcasing a concourse condition stock 525 from the mid 80's does nothing to spark people's interest. Ive contacted them several times to showcase more collectible classics, such as E9's, 2002's, Alpina's, etc, with nothing coming out of it. There is plenty of rare cars out there with owners who would love to have them in the Roundel, but time after time its a board member from a specific chapter showcasing their boring car.
The chapter in my area consists of the same officers year after year, who are old schoolers who would rather give awards to, and showcase the most boring cars that have little interest to anyone outside of themselves and their small circle. The chapter meets are horrible and the kids on the message board often arrange the meets that have the best turnouts with a good mix of classics and modded and stock newer cars. You would think they would get a hint from that, but I believe there is some clear agenda in a lot of the chapters which have been controlled by the same people for a very long time.
How about including a monthly section showcasing several classic cars each month. How about a section of modded newer cars, as well as the usual stuff they have? That would certainly provide more interest for everyone and reach out to a broader base of BMW enthusiasts.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I believe the magazine could do a lot more to promote the brand...

1) Many BMW dealers give a 1-year membership in CCA to new car buyers.
2) Roundel may look like a magazine and even self-describe as a magazine but it is a newsletter, complemented by a local newsletter for members of the BMW Car Club of America. You can't buy it at safeway, and they don't need to promote the brand, how many people would join CCA who do not have a BMW??!?
3) Kinda ironic (for this whiny thread) to read a post about a Roundel writer whining -shrug-

eastsideM3

Reaction score
1) Many BMW dealers give a 1-year membership in CCA to new car buyers.
2) Roundel may look like a magazine and even self-describe as a magazine but it is a newsletter, complemented by a local newsletter for members of the BMW Car Club of America. You can't buy it at safeway, and they don't need to promote the brand, how many people would join CCA who do not have a BMW??!?
3) Kinda ironic (for this whiny thread) to read a post about a Roundel writer whining -shrug-

The irony is in your post as it relates to the general sentiment of a magazine that could be vastly improved. Its not only about new cars. Its about promoting all BMW's. There's tons of people who have subscriptions to the Roundel and dont drive a new BMW.
Young people buy second or third generation models and aspire to buy newer ones as they move the economic chain. Their friends are influenced by what they have. Their interest, as ours, is kept by reading about our cars, and the brands improvements, or showcases of unique classics and or modded cars that we may have had in our youth or the past.
You dont think showcasing a cool Alpina or modded 2002, E21 or E9(for example) over a bone stock 525, might influence another person who may have gotten that free membership at the dealer to go out and buy an E21 or 2002? Of course it would. In fact I sold my E30 M3 to a guy who happend to be flipping through his friends Roundel and saw an advertisement for parts for the M3 and remembered the car from when he was younger. After reading it, he went to the for sale section and saw my ad. Tht is what leads to the cars becoming more desireable and more valuable. It's all about promoting "the brand", and promoting a rare or special classic such as the E9 is far better to the core audience of the Roundel, than the kids that buy Performance BMW and dont even know what an E9 is.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I believe the magazine could do a lot more to promote the brand.
BMW already has a corporate magazine to promote the brand. Or at least they did a few years ago. Now that I think about this, I have not seen any for a while.

piezopaul

Reaction score
Yes, that horrible ad magazine that BMW puts out is still around. Now THAT'S definitely an ad sheet. I have to line up with Chicane on this. I enjoy the CCA mag and its look at the various BMWs. There was recently a thread of letters in the Mag about not catering to older car owners and it got quite a bit of attention. Satch's reply hit the mark. There're quite a large number of owners, and this thread demonstrates how varied the interests of even one group are. Multiply that by the number of groups and you end up with a bunch of people screaming that ther're not getting exactly what they want. - Paul

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Redemption

Has anyone seen the October Roundel.
A lot of vintage BMWs a whole big section
3 CSL Bats and some others....