The outside door handle is stuck in the open position

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I attended a great BMW-only event today-pics to follow of the cars ranging from a 1957 507 to a 1600 GT to 4 E9's.
I opened the passenger door and the handle did not return to the closed flat position. The only way to open or close the door is with the inside handle.
Does anyone know what I should look for when I remove the door panel?
Thanks, Drew

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could remove the outside door handle to see if the spring action that returns the handle has failed, either
because the spring snapped out of place, or the handle broke.
I do not know if E9 handles are known to break, in the E24 the most common failure mode is the handle breaking.

Wladek

Reaction score
If the inside handle work it probably mean that the main locking mechanism is ok, something might be wrong with outside handle & it inner lever.
$_57 (12).jpg
$_57 (4).JPG
$_57 (9).JPG

Honolulu

Reaction score
I've had 'em out of my CS and several 2002s - after cleaning and a light spray of somekindagrease, it's amazing how smoothly they can work. There is a little spring in there that you have to remember to reinstall, or when you shut the door firmly, it may lock on it's own. They (can) move that smoothly.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My lock mechanism has a bent plate that prevents the handle from closing. It is also very dry and needs lubrication. The lead counterweight was laying in the bottom of the door.
I am missing the cover that is held on by the 2 yellow machine bolts shown in @Wladek top photo above. His bottom pic shows the cover in the upper left.
Does anyone have an extra cover? I need it by Nov 9th. My car is in a big show on Nov 12 and I need to have the door completely assembled.
Please let me know--Thanks, Drew

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The counterweight is optional, for better feel, but the mechanism works without it.
Anything lubrication is Molykote says DQ. Apply generously. On the missing cover if no board members have it, I would call Carl Nelson, as he seems to hoard such things.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I know Carl has lots of stuff and maybe he'll be able to help. The lead counterweight has been laying in the bottom of the door for a long time and the door handle certainly has worked w/o it.