Attachments

• painr_front left.jpg
    painr_front left.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 120

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 72 has the long slots, which means it had no frontal accidents since 73...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Me, that's Ascot Gray (ascotgrau, #151, available starting in 1979, so cheating).
Sorry, yes - I used the wrong @ symbol.
As for the color, ah ha! I hope my question doesn't incite public shame on the forum for a breach of originality. ;) I think it looks great!

polaris68

Site Donor
Reaction score
My friend John’s 73 was built within a week of mine in May 1973, he was the wide slots and mine are narrow. We may never solve this mystery!

(And I was going to save my 10,000th post for something more beneficial to our Forum, oh well!)

I am honored to be mentioned in your 10K post. I only need 9800 more to catch up.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In the discussion on the topic of the slots in the chin; I too am inclined to support the point made by Gerrit; the change occurred around mid '73 as a reason of introducing the US bumper style. But I will be hard to prove it, unless BMW factory documentation shows up, or a stack of NOS parts surface with different build years.

There is only one way to disprove the theory; find a pre mid-73 picture (not the car build date, but the photo date, think magazines! ) of a car with small slots. If one such photo would surface, then the theory is busted. If it doesn't surface.. well then it could be correct, or another explanation could exist.
( Looking at current state of Pre mid-73 cars will not tell you enough; the presence of short or equal length slots needs to be combined with unambigious data to prove that the nose has never been replaced. )

My May '73 3.0 CS has long, equal length splits. A replacement chin I purchased a few years ago was subsequently sold off after I realized it was the incorrect one...

Would It also mean that equal length slot parts are more scarce? About 23.000 e9's cars were sold prior to mid 73 with equal length slots, as opposed to 7500 cars sold post mid 73. (Wikipedia). However repair parts after mid 73 are more abundant vs the repair parts up to mid 73 (First in-first out stock principle? )

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@eriknetherlands ,

I’ve looked extensively for said photo and haven’t found one yet. There are a lot of early cars driving around with the smaller slot on the outside. They all must have been replaced (including my ‘71).