The front of an E9

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 3.0CS. Type Code: 3431 Prod. 08/1972 have the smaller outer holes.
Just when we thought it was narrowing in to a single answer, a curve ball. This is a very interesting mystery. But I do like the theory that the slots were long/wide until some point around mid '73, after which they became narrow in preparation for the North American big bumper cars - plus all subsequent replacement parts. But it is just a convenient theory.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But I do like the theory that the slots were long/wide until some point around mid '73, after which they became narrow in preparation for the North American big bumper cars - plus all subsequent replacement parts. But it is just a convenient theory.

I haven’t subscribed to this theory just yet. I haven't examined my car closely to see if the nose was replaced or not, but I'll take a gander this weekend. More importantly, I see other member cars in seemingly original condition with noses that break this theory. I don't want to showcase those cars because I don't want to create speculation that their car was worked on. This is one of those stupid little things that I'm going to have a diffuclt time letting go of however. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I haven’t subscribed to this theory just yet. I haven't examined my car closely to see if the nose was replaced or not, but I'll take a gander this weekend. More importantly, I see other member cars in seemingly original condition with noses that break this theory. I don't want to showcase those cars because I don't want to create speculation that their car was worked on. This is one of those stupid little things that I'm going to have a diffuclt time letting go of however. :D
Well, I am not digging in on the theory too deeply, either. And I certainly do not intend for it to be a dig on someone's "original" car. Darn if the theory doesn't fit so nicely, though. I have postulated that the BMW factory at the time, like other factories of the era, were not as buttoned up and precise as we try to assign 45 years later. I believe that suppliers for various parts may have come and gone, or changed their parameters for various reasons. It must have been a bear to track all of the variations by model, delivery destination, and timeline. I've specifically read that some of the other German factories were known to pull parts from bins for older models, just to use up the parts supply. There had to be a lot of "making it work", no?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an October 1971 German delivery and it has the 6 slots all the same size. Vin 2230105

Interesting! This is from a german brochure. The car appears to be a 1974 or 1975 based on the wipers. It has the small outer slat.

zoom2.png

s-l1600.jpg

Gerrit

Reaction score
The way I read this in my old BMW parts books, the small slots were introduced for model year 1974, so if you have a VIN starting with 43 it should have the small slots if not it should have the long slots. This is consistent with the introduction of the US bumper of that year like someone already mentioned here.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Poked around a bit. If mine was replaced they did a very good job, and used a proper spot welder.

m73

Reaction score
The way I read this in my old BMW parts books, the small slots were introduced for model year 1974, so if you have a VIN starting with 43 it should have the small slots if not it should have the long slots. This is consistent with the introduction of the US bumper of that year like someone already mentioned here.

Mine is a '73 but the front has been replaced sometime in the 80's. Small slats on my front now so maybe all panels post '74 are small slats which would make sense since mine is a replacement nose.

Maybe only the earliest cars had the wide slats or pre '73 -- getting closer to an answer....

lloyd

Reaction score
there-s-nothing-quite-like-a-bmw-3-0-cs-with-hidden-superpowers-1476934559102-1000x666.jpg

This thread begs the question, "What about the E3?"

ebay860674.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

28001.jpg

1.jpg

1975-bmw-33l-e3-classic-german-luxury-saloon-car-MH85N4.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

woodham_pair3.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's very interesting that this topic has only now been discovered hidden in plain sight after all these years of forum posts. To me it's logical to believe that this is the '74 transition design but am looking forward to you experts figuring it out definitievely!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's very interesting that this topic has only now been discovered hidden in plain sight after all these years of forum posts. To me it's logical to believe that this is the '74 transition design but am looking forward to you experts figuring it out definitievely!

I agree very interesting! I’ve been looking at vintage photos and videos and so far all of the early cars have the wide outer slat. I’m specifically looking for an original video or pic of an early car with a narrow outer slat. All signs point to the flip around the time frame mentioned. What it means is that numerous cars (including mine) have a nose swap.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree very interesting! I’ve been looking at vintage photos and videos and so far all of the early cars have the wide outer slat. I’m specifically looking for an original video or pic of an early car with a narrow outer slat. All signs point to the flip around the time frame mentioned. What it means is that numerous cars (including mine) have a nose swap.
That front "chin" comes off and on pretty painlessly, and is out there to "take it on the chin" (gratuitous bad joke). I would not be surprised that many of these could have been replaced over the years.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm just glad mine has the equal slats, with no bumper and a spoiler it looks balanced and just "right".

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am buying into the theory. Mine is a 72 with the longer equal slots (and aluminum rear center light panel) so no controversy. It is extremely plausible that the assembly line would have had a mix of both versions in 73. I find it hard to believe that an early CSL would have had the shorter slot version as it would have weighed more.

nico13

Reaction score
Sorry for asking, but I have also the issue with the roundel of a E9 there seems to be 2 types?
One which is flat and one witch is engraved. (see pictures)

Regards,
Nico

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.37.51.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.37.51.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.37.30.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 11.37.30.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 167

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for asking, but I have also the issue with the roundel of a E9 there seems to be 2 types?
One which is flat and one witch is engraved. (see pictures)

Regards,
Nico

The raised roundels could be found on 1974+ cars. They are made of aluminum, and I presume that it was another penny pinching effort. The earlier ones are plates steel with a cloisonné enamel. I’d wager that they cost 10x the price to produce. Anyway the raised roundels look cool and some people prefer them. It can make for a more integrated look if you have the proper raised roundels on the hood and the trunk.