The end is near....SCOTTeVEST's Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fortunate the lady is OK and will recover.

Regarding the car. Excellent update with the videos. Nice to see the W-N parts arrived. Think I will buy one of those cameras.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fortunate the lady is OK and will recover.

Regarding the car. Excellent update with the videos. Nice to see the W-N parts arrived. Think I will buy one of those cameras.

Camera is awesome and frankly seems like it should be useful even if you are not tearing off rockers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Camera is awesome and frankly seems like it should be useful even if you are not tearing off rockers

Yes, the quality seems excellent and the price more than fair. The two rigid ureteroscopes I have (government surplus) are a far cry from your camera in usability. They are rigid tubes, have a small image, there is no video recording, it's direct vision only and you have to have an external light supply to use them.

Your rockers appear to be pretty good indeed. After your rust abatement, I'd be very tempted to spray some sort of coating to protect the insides. Eastwood makes an internal frame coating spray that is targeted for just this purpose.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, I just finally got the call with the additional charges.
The original quote of $8500 included minor rust remediation that was apparent, and included install of new chrome bumpers.
The original estimate for rust found when we uncovered the rockers initially was $2000, which seemed cheap. The added cost for the additional rust found is broken out below:
  • Rear End and gas tank, 12 hours, remove and reinstall
  • Trunk Corners 20 hours
  • rear inner front corners 20 hours
52 extra hours
x80
$4160

With original excess of $2k and orig bid, we are at $14,660 total. He thinks there are no more surprises or additional costs, except cost to paint/clean up engine area.

Does that seem fair?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, that seems more than fair for the amount of work that's happening.
I don't disagree, although I was hoping for a lot less especially after the initially estimate on the rocker and rust issues once they revealed those early. That initial estimate was $1500-2000, which seemed too cheap. I didn't think there would be another $4k on top of that amount, as I thought that initial stuff was the bulk of the issues. Ultimately, it is costing x2 what i had budgeted at first, but getting things done right now. Oh yea, I have another $1k+ in rubber, rocker replacement, lokai stuff, etc. in parts.

I am glad I am doing it, and think he is being fair. I just wish I got some idea of cost earlier. It seems that he should be making real progress now that we have concluded no additional hidden rust needs attention.

I am counting down the days to getting MY BABY back.

How long do you feel the car will hold up before it needs another paint job and/or rust remediation? I am thinking I am fine for at least 10 years, given that the last time it was painted was 17 years ago, and it looked great. I think we are doing way more and better work this time around.

BTW, do you think I should redo the interior wood?
I was going to have Benny try to loosen up the headrests too, even if it means pulling it apart with an car. I really want them working again.
Any thoughts on costs to paint engine compartment?
Thanks for all your help.
I love this group.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Done properly with modern epoxy primers & paint your car will last another 35-40 years.

Interior wood will add another $4,500 to the budget easily and will take at least 6-8 weeks.

Headrests are easy. Penetrating oil like WD40 down the posts, wait a while and pull up. They should free up. May need to put protecting wood on the seat top & headrest and use some leverage to raise them up.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Done properly with modern epoxy primers & paint your car will last another 35-40 years.

Interior wood will add another $4,500 to the budget easily and will take at least 6-8 weeks.

wow. i will be almost dead in 35-40 years. The full restore will be up to someone else then.
i will likely "restore" parts here and there but never a full restore in my life.
$4500 to do the wood is out of my current budget. I don't mind how it looks now, although someone said it looks cheap. I just need to add some veneer to one area.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score

Headrests are easy. Penetrating oil like WD40 down the posts, wait a while and pull up. They should free up. May need to put protecting wood on the seat top & headrest and use some leverage to raise them up.

$4500 for wood seems a bit steep, but I haven’t done a set in a while, so I may be wrong. If it indeed costs that much nowadays, I would suggest that doing the wood yourself is not the hardest job in the world (Especially if I can do it) and it should cost no more than a few sheets of wood veneer, sand paper, wood glue, protective coating of choice and some clamps. I think I may have spent $300. It took me a couple of days of working on it for a few hours/day. It is time consuming to get the dash wood out, but if your window is already out for the repaint, that’s half the battle.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
$4500 for wood seems a bit steep, but I haven’t done a set in a while, so I may be wrong. If it indeed costs that much nowadays, I would suggest that doing the wood yourself is not the hardest job in the world (Especially if I can do it) and it should cost no more than a few sheets of wood veneer, sand paper, wood glue, protective coating of choice and some clamps. I think I may have spent $300. It took me a couple of days of working on it for a few hours/day. It is time consuming to get the dash wood out, but if your window is already out for the repaint, that’s half the battle.

Scott,

Your dash is out of the car! All of the wood parts are easily accessible. You are talking about a buffered 2 hours ($160) to unscrew the wood from the dash and door trim, and box it up. Ship to @bela22, get it back in a month or so for ($1,200 ish), 1 hour to screw it back into the fixtures ($80). Should cost more than $1,300 for perfection. This really is one of those "while you're in there" things.

You can stand in your garage and stare at your car while it is parked, but you alone will be staring at gorgeous new dashboard wood on your long road trips. In fact your time spent looking at your dashboard wood will be measured in tens or hundreds of hours. :D This is why a multitude expensive steering wheels are justified. :D

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

Your dash is out of the car. All of the wood parts are accessible. You are talking about a buffered 2 hours ($160) to unscrew the wood from the dash and door trim, and box it up. Ship to @bela22, get it back in a month or so, 1 hour to screw it back into the fixtures ($80). Should cost more than $1,300 for perfection.

On it! Thx

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
7e57796b49e57c3fe548b543b3a72a38.jpg

Here’s an example of what they are talking about. Bela does dream work.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
7e57796b49e57c3fe548b543b3a72a38.jpg

Here’s an example of what they are talking about. Bela does dream work.

Wow I reached out to him already via direct message. There were a couple of Bellas there so I’m not sure if I got the right one. Can you please confirm the username?

Status
Not open for further replies.