tank capacity

coupelady

Reaction score
I have read in the owner's manual that we have a 19 gal tank in the ('72) 3.0CS - US. I can't remember ever having put that amount in the tank in the 29 years of ownership. I felt it would hold 12-13 gal. What are your experiences?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nineteen gallons is correct, reserve is 30 miles so 1 1/2 to 2 gallons and gauge shows empty around 17 gallons. I thought the 2800 had a smaller tank but not sure, might just be hearsay?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Gas tank capacity

Seem to recall that the specs for 2800 CS is 70L=18.4-18.5 gallons and thought it was the same for all six cylinder e-9's.

On one extended trip while travelling through Eastern Washington State fuel services were very scarce--finally upon arriving on the outskirts of Yakima--with a very bright white light glowing for what seemed an eternity--I pumped 18.4 gallons into BLUMAX.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My '72 manual says 18.5, the e9 Registry manual link also says 18.5 but doesn't say a year so maybe 74 is different.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Must be, I looked in Stan's 74 reprint manual. Headed home tomorrow, I'm beat and so is Stan but we got a lot done. His coupe sure has a lot of power and rides nicely.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Gas tank capacities

Early 2800CS has 55 liter tanks, 74 3.0CS has 72 liter tanks, the rest have 70 liter tanks. See parts books.

Jellobmw

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gas Tank

If your thinking you've got 12-13 gal capacity, then someone snuck a gas tank from a 2002 in there.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Gas tank capacity

Question for Bill Riblett--BLUMAX is 2270016 and still has the original tank--it's the 75L or18.5 gal. one. What then constitutes an early E-9?

MMercury

Reaction score
I have read in the owner's manual that we have a 19 gal tank in the ('72) 3.0CS - US. I can't remember ever having put that amount in the tank in the 29 years of ownership. I felt it would hold 12-13 gal. What are your experiences?

Much depends upon your fueling idiosyncrasies. Some (maybe most) of us do not like to tempt fate in our coupes, let alone any older car. Out of habit (possibly due to mistrust of your car’s fuel gauge, the low fuel indicator light and/or the trip odometer) - you may tend to keep your tank more than half full. If you do not pile on the miles, fill ups may seem relatively painless compared to other cars - simply because you are never completely filling the tank.

Are you a gambler?
Go on a long trip (more than 200 miles?) running the tank close to empty. (If most of your travel consists of short trips, the longer trip is probably a good idea, if only to burn off any condensation that collects in the crankcase and exhaust system.) If you have a “short tank” - you will find out soon enough. However, if you want to increase the odds in your favor, please carry a few gallons of insurance gas in a spare gas tank and/or a current auto club card. :wink:

There is another possible benefit to running completely through a tank of gas, whatever its capacity. If your car is fed a perfect diet of fuel that is
not blended with ethanol, or you are adding stabilizer when you fuel up, please read no further. But if your car cheats on its diet and is often exposed to moisture, even in the form of high humidity, you may have a hidden surprise at the bottom of your tank.

Anecdotal evidence?
Fuel stored for five months in vented, but purpose-built fuel containers was found separated into two distinct layers. It did not require a chemist to see that some of it was questionable for use in an internal combustion engine, let alone something called a DJetronic fuel injection. Widely available news reports suggest a strong probability that some fuel had become over saturated with H2O. http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/Ethanol.html http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10264 Since this was the same fuel used for our cars, it is easy to conclude that storing most pump fuel for long periods should be avoided if possible. Sadly, I have no idea how long is too long, nor have I any idea whether fuel stabilizer really works, or for what duration. It goes without saying that many here frown upon rain getting anywhere near an E9 and it is probably even worse when you mix rain and fueling. :wink:

800px-BMW2800CS-interior.jpg

bm18.jpg

bm1.jpg

bm3.jpg

fuel_stabilizer_4oz_big.jpg

DSC_0163small.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
enough. However, if you want to increase the odds in your favor, please carry a few gallons of insurance gas in a spare gas tank and/or a current auto club card. :wink:

always nice "from-where-the-hell-did-you-get" pics

and yes, i carry that insurance fuel in the trunk: :-D

extrafuel.jpg

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Carrying spare fuel in trunk--NO WAY JOSE

In over 500,000 miles of local Coupe driving, cross country and touring over long distances daily while exploring this great country over many years--have never run out of gas. And while some don't trust their instruments to be reliable I have trusted same and have never been disappointed with my Coupes. If the instruments fail or work in an erratic manner simply replace or repair same--then trust can be restored!

Perhaps my bladder is trained to run out of holding capacity before the tank runs out of fuel.

As to carrying a container of gas in the trunk-I absolutely see no reason to be motivated into carrying a spare item of hazardous material there.

MMercury

Reaction score
As to carrying a container of gas in the trunk-I absolutely see no reason to be motivated into carrying a spare item of hazardous material there.

Your logic is always sound. But, with respect, you must take into account that, for any number of reasons: not all cars are as well maintained or dependable as BMax, not everyone is an auto club member, and not every stretch of hinterland road has a reliable 24/7 source of fuel. Again, all of these are good reasons to keep plenty of fuel in the tank.

Granted, most metropolitan areas still have a proliferation of petrol stations to service most of our needs. Occasionally, they suffer their own tribulations such as when there is an unexpected power outage to pump the gas or power their electronic cash registers. In one such instance, albeit not with an E9, we were lucky to have been carrying two spare tanks for an anticipated boating holiday.

While I do not ordinarily carry fuel in a spare container, I try to keep a small empty container in the car for those unexpected needs. The same with spare parts and tools. Are redundancies necessary? Those who never experience a flat will argue you do not really need a spare tire. Some may feel it a good idea to keep two cell phones on hand if they are prone to loosing them. Then there are some who will refuse to let their children ride in any car without an airbag. (When a "windbag" is not enough? :lol:)

FWIW, manufacturers and dealers have been known to market curious items that sell, whether or not the items are truly practical. This has included spare gas tanks that fit into the spare wheel.:smile:

144454d1191413478t-anybody-ever-see-mb-spare-tire-tank.jpg

119335d1173126233-reserve-spare-fuel-tank-jarnail-sharan-dhianpur-043.jpg

Some obviously feel you can never be well prepared - enough? :lol:

DSC_0167.JPG

shanon

Reaction score
BMW made one...evidently NLA

Good thread.

I have thought about increasing the range for those inviting, unfamilair, long, very empty, back road trips when thinking about fuel 'conservation' is just not going to happen. ;-)

Found this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-SPARE-GAS-TANK-E39-E38-E46-528i-E34-525i-740iL-/350261502712

Or you could plumb one of these and have a twin tank set-up....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ABT-171110/

Or for those extended, multi-day tours, you could go Aussie or 'prepper' style:
http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max-interceptor/interceptor-history-part-3.html

;-)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
good ****ing grief...how do I change the default so thread notification is dis-abled?