suspension upgrades/upkeep

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Finally, finally, finally got my coupe running and on the road.

Car seems to be running great (engine-wise) but the overall "feel" is not exactly what could be called tight. In a city notorious for potholes and bad roads (Boston) sometimes it feels like the dashboard is going to drop on my lap when I go over the multitudes of trolley tracks, potholes, and craters.

Given the car is almost 40 years old, what replacements and upgrades make the most sense to tighten up the suspension?

The car has set more or less idle for the past 9 years, so does that obviate spring replacement?

Is it assumed that the front strut mount bearing should be replaced along with the shocks?

Are KYB shocks really that undesirable? (I have a new rear set I picked up somewhere along the road)

How much do new bushings impact the drivability (as opposed to performance)?

Any other helpful thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
From one Bostonian to another..........PM me. I just did all this for my E3, much is the same for an E9. I replaced everything rubber in the front and rear. Using KYB's violates the code of BMW ethics.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kyb's

From one Bostonian to another..........PM me. I just did all this for my E3, much is the same for an E9. I replaced everything rubber in the front and rear. Using KYB's violates the code of BMW ethics.

Give that modern BMWs need their suspension rubber replaced after 60kmiles, you can be sure it's all long due for replacement down there.

KYBs might be suitable if the trade off is heavily biased toward a compliant ride.
It depends on the goal. If I wanted a classic that rode comfortably in Boston I'd stay away from Bilsteins, shorter springs, big sways, poly bushings, and low profile tires. Does Koji make a FSD for E9s?

John

Mike Goble

Reaction score
kyb-web1.jpg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I put KYB's on my Acura since I could find nothing other than dealer shocks (which I suspect are KYB's but cannot confirm). I like the ride but having a Bilstein in one hand and the KYB in the other kinda sends you a message.