Suspension Techniques Sway Bars

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am installing the ST sway bar set (28/22) and the instructions suggest that you lower the front subframe slightly in order to install the bar. I don't see any advantage in doing this unless it is for clearance in the front. Has anyone done with or without lowering the subframe?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had to pry my stock brackets back into place as well, it’s really tough to get the bracket flush so you can install the socket bolt from below.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I lowered the subframe about an inch or so. Took less that 20-25 minutes to get the clearance, install the bar & with screw clamps the the brackets & get the bracket bolts started. Doing it this way was a lot easier than the usual wrestling the bar in place.

halboyles

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the new clips are so large (long) you won’t be able to bend them into their slot and then push down in the back.
I'll certainly test fitment before attempting to bolt it on.
I used a thin pair of channel pliers that allowed me to get this done but it was a PIA.
How did you use the channel lock pliers to help in the install.
I lowered the subframe about an inch or so.
Did that give you more clearance to get the bolt inserted and tightened?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The biggest issue is rolling the new clamp back towards the frame, a lower subframe helps. Channel lock or a clamp can help hold the bracket down on the subframe while inserting bolt from below and trying to place nut on top. Three hands would help too!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As Chris said. The channel locks can hold the bracket down in the back enough to get the thing started, it's an interation technique, you eventually get it .

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Without lowering the subframe but with lots of cursing. Do a dry run without the bushing, IIRC it was just able to sit flat without hitting the back of the subframe. There is basically zero degrees of freedom here and you may indeed end up lowering the subframe to avoid the frustration.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I got a very good deal on a set of used Suspension Techniques sway bars (22mm & 28MM), however, they came without the sway bar clamps/clips and associated rubber parts. I did email the company, but they never responded. I will likely need to call...

Are different clips required? I identified some rubber parts based on bar diameter that should fit. I think one set (either front or rear) was from an x5 as I recall.

For those that have installed them, did you use new clips or were you able to install with OEM components?

I am planning to drop the front sub-frame for refresh of the suspension.

Thanks.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
I got a very good deal on a set of used Suspension Techniques sway bars (22mm & 28MM), however, they came without the sway bar clamps/clips and associated rubber parts. I did email the company, but they never responded. I will likely need to call...

Are different clips required? I identified some rubber parts based on bar diameter that should fit. I think one set (either front or rear) was from an x5 as I recall.

For those that have installed them, did you use new clips or were you able to install with OEM components?

I am planning to drop the front sub-frame for refresh of the suspension.

Thanks.
Presumably you need the ST clips. The bar diameters are very different than OEM.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car has the ST 28 &22mm bars. The shop asked me to get all new hardware from ST. They sent me the sets about 3 years ago. I recall the shop telling me installation of the front clips with their urethane bushings was difficult. I hope you're able to contact them.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well John, if the time arises, I'm coming over to lower my subframe, stopwatch in hand.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
They responded promptly this time, parts ordered via email as a kits that aren't listed on their website.

P# 50015-777 $40.97 front hardware
P# 51015-777 $84.57 rear hardware
Plus shipping and local taxes