Suspension Bushes

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a frustrating afternoon I'am having, what should be a simple job is proving to be impossible. I have spent the last 4 hours trying the fit new outer and inner rubber bushes to the track control arms but have only managed to fit one and destroyed one in the process. I have tried the threaded bar method and also a vice with soap and brake fluid as a lubricant and warming them in boiling water to soften them up but they are just mushrooming out and refuse to go in - any tips ? I have installed the big rubber bush in the sub frame easily enough and the rear trailing arm bushes went in easy.

John.

Attachments

• P1000629.jpg
    P1000629.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 247
  • P1000630.jpg
    P1000630.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 229
  • P1000632.jpg
    P1000632.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 233
  • P1000633.jpg
    P1000633.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 234

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
John,

The bushing has an end that is "pointier" than the other, which is flatter. Looks like you are pushing the flat end first...(?) Think of an arrow. Use the steel core of the old bushing to push on the steel core of the new bushing. Let us know how it works out in the end.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Luis A, I've tried that but still no joy. Both ends of the bush look to be at the same angle but maybe I've distorted it !. I've tried both ends with the same result. I'm going home now, it's beaten me for today.

John.

Attachments

• P1000635(1).jpg
    P1000635(1).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 209
  • P1000639(3).jpg
    P1000639(3).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 196
  • P1000638(3).jpg
    P1000638(3).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 190

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, OK. I used silicon grease which is super slick and preserves rubber a a plus.

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would wrap some sheet metal around the greased up bushing and clamp it on the end with a hose clamp while pushing with your vise. Then cross fingers. Sort of like a piston ring compressor.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
More peanut gallery comments - I would put the bushings in the freezer for a while and warm the metal bits and grease it up with silicone grease and quickly attempt to press them in before they get warm. A press might also be more effective if you have access.

Best of luck with the job.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Bushing Tool

This is a home made bushing tool copied from 2002FAQ member Bill Williams.

It is a 1 1/2 inch PVC coupler cut in half (or whatever size closet to your bushing), all thread and a series of washers. The concept is the washer that is bigger than the coupler has a washer up against it, the washers on the
other end are the size of the bushing or a scooch smaller in diameter. As
you tighten the nut against the large washer, the all thread and smaller
washers pull the bushing through the PVC. The job of the piece of the PVC
on the side being pulled through, keeps the bushing from "bunching up"
before it pulls through the metal housing.

Should work on any bushing

Bushingtoolfrontframe_zps8c1488e4.jpg

revitoff1o

Reaction score
Is there a metal sleeve in the middle? Most do I think. Tap out the metal sleeve in the middle, it'll let the bushing flex in a little more, then tap it back in once the bushing is in. Obviously use lubricant going back in. I'm in the process of replacing all the bushings on my 2002 right now. I'd rather swap an engine versus doing bushings!

Also (I'm sure someone will say this is a horrible idea) but on my E30, when I re-did all the bushings on it, the aftermarket ones (it is a track car so I went with polyurethane) actually came in two pieces and went in from either side. I had aftermarket diff mounts for the 2002. Would not go in for anything. Since the bushing is held in between two plates and a bolt once in the car, I thought about those bushings in the E30. I took the metal sleeve out, cut the bushing down the middle (the center was smaller than the edges), still had to press in the darn thing with a lubricant, tapped back in the metal sleeve, and now it's back in the car. No ill effects.

Just an idea.

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Still not got these bushes in. I managed to get a stainless steel tube that the bush could fit snugly inside and I thought that would stop the bunching up of the bush which it did but it would still not pull through. I left one in compression overnight to see if it would pop through but as you can see if just stretched/distorted the leading part of the bush and ruined it. You can't just pull out the centre steel part as this is bonded to the rubber. I got these parts from Walloth Nesch and I am just off to order new bushes from BMW as they are listed as still available and will try those.

John.

Attachments

• P1000701.jpg
    P1000701.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 193
  • P1000702.jpg
    P1000702.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 200

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just been into BMW to order more bushes and the outer bush 31121112902 (the one i'am having most trouble with) has been superceeded with part no. 31122614103, ready to collect on Saturday morning, maybe this will make a difference.

John.

2ma2

Reaction score
Make sure the bushes start out aligned perfectly Tighten the bolt a little and then gently push the outer perimeter of the bushing with a blunt instrument into the hole all Round it's circumference. Once it starts in it goes easy fwiw I think pledge furniture polish is the best lubricant to use for this Learned it from a motocross guy who used it to seat tire rims Worked like a charm

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the BMW bushes and have now fitted them. The new bushes had the little arrow head on them to indicated which end goes in first and they are also slimmer then the others. The other bushes were a tight fit in the tube but the BMW bushes rattled about. I had to make 4 cuts in the end of the tube and pull in with hose clamps which made it taper and compress the bushes on the way in. Still not an easy job but a lot easier using BMW supplied bushes and plenty of Pledge!

Thanks for your help.

John.

Attachments

• P1000720.jpg
    P1000720.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 214
  • P1000721.jpg
    P1000721.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 212
  • P1000722.jpg
    P1000722.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 216