Sunroof seal install

84E24

Reaction score
I am ready to install the sunroof seals. I have read the post that Paul from Maximillian wrote in 2000. Installing the seal to the car is basic, but, I am starting with the moveable panel.

The question I have is:

The felt gasket is .405" tall and has a Alum. strip inside. Starting at the radius on either side of the panel, the height from the top of the panel to the step is only .290" and is that way for about 10" on each side. In the middle there is a recess that allows the felt to be flush with the top of the panel.

Do I allow the felt to stick up .115" in those areas or do I need to bend the strip at the bottom to allow it to be flush with the top?

Thanks,

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi folks and 84E24 !
I think it’s a great question, because I bought the sunroof seals a few days ago and also realized the dilemma with the rear seal.

Additional question: Will the top of the seal be aligned exactly at roof level or a few mm lower?
(i.e. when no one sees you, are you able to feel the hairy seal when you gently strike your hand over the roof?)

Anyone with this experience regarding sunroof?

//Stefan

84E24

Reaction score
Sunroof seals

Hi Stefan,

I would think that both, moveable and body seals, should be right at the top. So, yes I think when you rub your hand across the top you should be able to feel them. Now to make that happen one needs to bend the backing of the seal about 3 mm at a 90 degree angle. This would allow the seal to be flush with the top. Then I think one should strighten the bent edge, as much as possible, to the movable roof and add glue to seal it.

Could someone confirm this need to happen. Also a pic of this are would be helpful.

Thanks,

Stefan

Reaction score
I bought the seals (light grey) from the BMW dealer and the seals are like the following:

Back seal (the shorter) is fairly stiff.
Front seal: same shape and look, but not similar stiff alum. strip as back seal.

My "front" seal would match perfect to be the rear seal because it is possible to shape the seal to the movable roof rear side with just pressing with the thumbs.

Possible they are mixed, or what?

pmansson

Reaction score
sun roof seals

Just got the 2 of them from W&N.
Facts: according to part numbers, the one ending with 431 is the front one. It is much shorter, lighter and slightly smaller in all respects. Both are very similar in stiffness

Board expertise: the longer, stiffer and bigger one goes up front.

I will call W&N tomorrow.....