Sunroof headliner replace-calling those who did this!

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I am as part of our 2800CS full restoration now getting around to installing the headliner.

I have done all the searches and pretty much know the process, BUT I do have a couple of questions?

First, my hardboard was in fair shape, and I did have to "shore it up" using fiberglass mat and screen in spots. Now it does fit fairly well. Since the headliner had already been replaced long ago by a PO, I am not sure the as found condition and materials used are correct.

From prior posts, it seems under the hardboard originally was a thin foam glued, which apparently degrades over time into a powder. What I found was about 1/4" thick rubber mat type material glued to the hardboard and then the headline was glued to it. Actually the prior installation was quite good, except of course the headliner fabric had yellowed and just would not clean up.

So for those of you who have replaced your sunroof headliner, what material did you use between the hardboard and the actual headline fabric? I do have lots of less than 1/4" upholstery foam, the type one would use on the backside of say the door panels (cards) and the door frame and possibly use under seat upholstery as backing for sewing pleats. But I have a concern it will not stay glued to the hardboard, the foam is too porous.

So any other tricks and recommendations!

Thanks
jjs2800cs

Note, I love doing upholstery work, but hate installing headliners. Unless one has the car on a rotisserie and can turn the chassis up side down, gravity is your foe installing them.

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi jjs2800cs,
this picture shows the three pieces of foam, the thickness is 8mm.
Himmel Schaumstoff.JPG
The sizes in cm are
104x42
103x28
102x22.

Of course, after 50 years it starts to dissolve. Anyhow, I would use same type of foam, applying adhesive spray.
Regards
Thomas

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming you have a sunroof based on post title. The purpose of the foam is noise reduction so I would chose on that basis. My board was toast so I used some MDF to replace it, coated with polyurethane to protect from moisture. Orig board used as a template. Not sure if others have tried marine board. Some parts of a resto need not be factory IMO if technology affords a better approach. Dont forget to clear your sunroof drain tubes while you have access. I used the SMS headliner which was a tad thick so lots of wd 40 when I replaced the alum edges so it would not cut into the headliner.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Assuming you have a sunroof based on post title. The purpose of the foam is noise reduction so I would chose on that basis. My board was toast so I used some MDF to replace it, coated with polyurethane to protect from moisture. Orig board used as a template. Not sure if others have tried marine board. Some parts of a resto need not be factory IMO if technology affords a better approach. Dont forget to clear your sunroof drain tubes while you have access. I used the SMS headliner which was a tad thick so lots of wd 40 when I replaced the alum edges so it would not cut into the headliner.
Bavbob,

Thanks for the reply. So yes I have sunroof and got new headliner from World Upholstery. I understand the texture, pattern, etc is not 100% original but all is being replaced, so all will be uniform.

So did you have to glue (assume with spray adhesive) the headliner to the foam, after the foam was glued to the board? It looks like the foam should be attached to the board before the board is fitted to the roof and then trimmed as needed. Headliner last.

A local trimmer advised me to use 3M90 to bond the foam to the board and Permatex Heavy Duty Automotive Headline Adhesive for headliner fabric to the foam.

The foam I think I will used is I believe called "sew foam". It has on one side a thin cloth backing which makes it easier to sew to fabric. I have used it on most of the interiors I have done.

Thanks
jjs2800cs

day66

Reaction score
I replaced my headlining and the board. I used thin ply to replace the board and stuck some vinyl inside to waterproof it. The headliner isn’t bonded to the board from what I can see, the headliner when pulled taught won’t actually touch the board, and I think if you try to stick it to the board or any foam on it you won’t be able to tension it properly and achieve a nice fit.

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I replaced my headlining and the board. I used thin ply to replace the board and stuck some vinyl inside to waterproof it. The headliner isn’t bonded to the board from what I can see, the headliner when pulled taught won’t actually touch the board, and I think if you try to stick it to the board or any foam on it you won’t be able to tension it properly and achieve a nice fit.
I think you are correct as one of the past threads shows someone stretching the fabric and using binder clips. We'll give it a go in a day or so. I will post a few photos as long as they are favorable to my work!!!

Thanks
jjs2800cs

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Headliner does not get glued to the board. I used exactly what you stated for glue. There are little 'ears' on the board as the board descends a little bit down the C pillar. I scored my MDF to make that turn/angle.

For the seatbelt and handle along the roofline, I put the screws/bolts in place BEFORE placing the headliner, this way they were easy to find and cut down on. I did not cut down on them per se, I used a phillips head screwdriver, heated the tip an melted a small hole over each screw/bolt. I worry that cuts with an x-acto knife would propagate so melting seals the edges and avoids this. Also just a lot cleaner hole.