Success! 72/earlier e9 Front Bumper Brackets

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm taking the plunge to swap the big bumpers on my 74 to euro style. I ordered the stainless bumper set from BluntTech. (My car is a driver not a show car) Local Porsche restoration shop is willing to take on the conversion and the necessary welding and body work and likely elimination of side markers. We're following @bfengs excellent explanation in this post: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/the-end-is-near-scottevests-baby.27307/page-32#post-220703

As you well know the pre-73 style front brackets are NLA. I've tried Coupe King and Carl Nelson, they don't have any. Carl said I'd have to fabricate a set. Which I'm willing to do. (I did for my e3 conversion) It would be great if someone had a set to sell. I'd also be willing to rent a set to use as templates to fab new ones. Even a stock set would have to be modified to work off the wider end of the 74 frame rails.

I would be happy to have additional sets made for anyone who is contemplating the conversion.

Feel free to PM me if you have set to sell or rent for a few weeks.

Cheers

John M

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi John.
I sell them in the UK and have shipped many pairs to the USA. I needed them for our restorations and they were NLA (well one side was available) so made them in stainless steel templated from an original pair we had.
Take a look.
Paul

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The frame rail is wider on a US 74, CK had made brackets just for the 74 conversion (they have a kink in them), I saw a set at Carl’s two years ago. They were trying to install them on an earlier coupe, no bueno.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If your shop does this intelligently, they bumper will fit well and easily. If they hack it it up like what happened to poor Scott....

John

I’ll find the .pdf I sent Scott and forward to you

John,

Yes I’m going to make sure it’s done right. The shop specializes in vintage Porsche and European cars. Their work is really nice. When I brought my car in for the estimate I also brought your post from Scott’s thread and and aome additional pictures of the holes that need to be patched and what it should look like afterwards.
I wanted to provide as much documentation as I could since they have not done this conversion before. Shop owner was pretty confidant. Still waiting for the actual estimate. Not having the whole car painted. Just from belt line trim down. I’m expecting it will be in $10k range not counting cost of the new bumpers. It will be worth it.

Any additional PDF’s you have of the process would be greatly appreciated.

John M

Last edited:

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
The frame rail is wider on a US 74, CK had made brackets just for the 74 conversion (they have a kink in them), I saw a set at Carl’s two years ago. They were trying to install them on an earlier coupe, no bueno.
As we have only restored Euro cars I didn't know that there was a difference.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So I’m still looking for a set of pre 73 front bumper brackets. Seems the stainless set out of the UK are not available at the moment.
I emailed Erik @ Coupe King back in November and he replied that he had sets available for $200. I replied that I would happy to buy a set. I have emailed and called him directly but have yet to get a response. My coupe will be going in the shop in 2 weeks to begin the swap.
Any local SoCal members been to Coupe King lately?
I realize the COVID situation is brutal in the LA area but if it’s possible to visit Coupe King in person let me know if any locals are willing.
Thanks!
John

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I’m still looking for a set of pre 73 front bumper brackets. Seems the stainless set out of the UK are not available at the moment.
I emailed Erik @ Coupe King back in November and he replied that he had sets available for $200. I replied that I would happy to buy a set. I have emailed and called him directly but have yet to get a response. My coupe will be going in the shop in 2 weeks to begin the swap.
I realize the COVID situation is brutal in the LA area but if it’s possible to visit Coupe King in person let me know if any locals are willing.
Thanks!
John

FWIW, They won’t be easy to replicate. The brackets have odd bends in them that would be difficult to replicate in a brake. Not to mention the steel is about 3/8” thick.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bob, 74 frame rail is thicker and has a kink in it, nothing like pre 74.
Yep. As seen in this photo.
DD883D6B-0A6E-4089-95E6-D11B63B98B38.jpeg

Brackets will have to be modified to accommodate the thicker 74 frame rail.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, my brackets do NOT have a kink in them. Instead Mario welded a spacer to my frame rails. I really like the fact that the brackets are straight. Makes assembly and removal trivial. I assemble the whole bumper, leaving everything slightly loose, slide it into the rubber grommets, attach the bolts for brackets and ends. Then I make sure it’s level and aligned and tighten it all up.

I think kinked brackets will make this more complex.
John

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FWIW, my brackets do NOT have a kink in them. Instead Mario welded a spacer to my frame rails. I really like the fact that the brackets are straight. Makes assembly and removal trivial. I assemble the whole bumper, leaving everything slightly loose, slide it into the rubber grommets, attach the bolts for brackets and ends. Then I make sure it’s level and aligned and tighten it all up.

I think kinked brackets will make this more complex.
John
Are the holes for the bumper elongated? Or were they custom made?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Because mine is a 74, Mario cut slots for the bumper brackets. They are exactly like the pre-73 holes except they are laterally a bit further apart. They accept the stock rubber grommets. That different spacing is why the front ends of the pre-73 brackets need to be lengthened a bit (and slotted for the bumper overrides bolts). AFAIK, they only need this single trivial modification.

Now, if you wanted the slots in the nose panel to be in the same place as an earlier car, then the brackets need to zig zag because the front portion frame rails are wider, as HBC has stated. But that seems like the hard way to do things...

The way Mario did my car reflects his experience with these E9’s. He kept it simple and very straightforward. If my car were at home I’d gladly spend 10min to pull my bumper and send you my brackets to duplicate. But it’s in storage till late April.

John

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are the holes for the bumper elongated? Or were they custom made?

Chris
You mean on the forward ends of the bumper brackets?

If so, yes they are elgongated more than on the original bracket ends. I posted pics in Scott’s epically long thread.

John

PS:amazing how much can be posted about such a simple modification...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris

If so, yes they are elgongated more than on the original bracket ends. I posted pics in Scott’s epically long thread.

John

Yes, and great explanation.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Chris

John

This is the modification I plan to make on the brackets. Following Mario’s lead and the photos John posted in Scott’s thread. (See first post in this thread)
Not sure if the brackets Erik at CK said he had are modified or stock. I’ve been unable to get a response.
Surprised no one has fabricated a batch of modified brackets. I think they would sell.
John

Last edited:

Paul Baker

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks!
John
Sorry but due to Christmas and CV19 the manufacture of the next batch was delayed, i can chase them tomorrow and see how long they will be.
Paul

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi John.
I sell them in the UK and have shipped many pairs to the USA. I needed them for our restorations and they were NLA (well one side was available) so made them in stainless steel templated from an original pair we had.
Take a look.
Paul
Paul, are the ends of the bracket (the short aaaasection that attaches to the bumper) at a straight 90 degrees to the main “arm” as seen from the top? I know they are angled down slightly when seen from the side but many of the ones I have seen seem to be bent slightly (between 80 and 90 degrees) as seen from the top as well. Hard to tell if that is because they have been bent over the years or if they are supposed to be so.