Strange one...

jmackro

Reaction score
1973 BMW COUPE new paint...

Gee, I wonder what the old paint looked like?

3E93Ka3I75Ef5K55J6d4bdd0d659182011b78.jpg

tmason

Reaction score
Where exactly is the new paint?Another one with the decimal point in wrong position.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder what the old paint looked like?

3E93Ka3I75Ef5K55J6d4bdd0d659182011b78.jpg

That could be "new" paint. Looks like sunlight through a tree outside maybe, plus a 1/4" of dust. Might be a new paint job under all that. :wink:

Dan

jmackro

Reaction score
That could be "new" paint. Looks like sunlight through a tree outside maybe, plus a 1/4" of dust. Might be a new paint job under all that.

I thought that too. But the car is lit from behind - that is, the open garage door seems to be behind the coupe's tail. So dappled light wouldn't just hit the hood. And, neither the floor nor the car next to it shows that pattern.

Even if it is a new paint job, you have to wonder about the seller's attention to detail if that's the best photo he chose to display when selling a $22,500 car!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought that too. But the car is lit from behind - that is, the open garage door seems to be behind the coupe's tail. So dappled light wouldn't just hit the hood. And, neither the floor nor the car next to it shows that pattern.

Even if it is a new paint job, you have to wonder about the seller's attention to detail if that's the best photo he chose to display when selling a $22,500 car!

+1 My thought exactly. In pharmacy school they always emphasized that we should be careful to put the label on the bottle carefully. If we can't be bothered with a good presentation, how much care did we give filling of the Rx?

Jaysus buddy, roll it our of the garage, clean it, take the boxes out of the inside......

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

Since talking about the photo is more interesting than the car.... I still think its sunlight. Its on the cover on the hood and its also reflected on the left front edge of the hood making it look like a large window behind the camera.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The garage could have a window which is letting light in from the front but since it's mainly blocked by a large oak tree, only a small pattern is hitting the front hood

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, the light dappling of a maple tree is hard to miss... a sugar maple to be specific- strange indeed

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This reminds me of the debate in "The Holy Grail" about the Swallow and whether it was African or European and how it could carry the coconut. The disdain for the English by the French soldier is brilliantly summed up with, "I fart in your general direction." And the fake? accent adds a bit of Gallic charm.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those probably don't grow down in these parts, probably a Red or Swamp Maple, or one of several Oak varieties :p

yes, the light dappling of a maple tree is hard to miss... a sugar maple to be specific- strange indeed

jamesw

Reaction score
I am reasonably close by so I sent him a message. He is going to send me some more photos which I can post. I am intrigued by the car - not the picture ;-)

Cheers
James