Steve Bingham

xing6666

Reaction score
It is with a heavy heart that I must announce the passing of Stephen M. Bingham. Also known as "Blingham" or the "King of Bling," Steve was one of the founding members of Southeast Sharkfest. Many of us have gotten to know him quite well over the last 12 years - as a judge and as an ambassador to our event both in official capacity and otherwise. He also had an immaculate CS and posted on this forum as 84E24.

Anyone who has met him will remember his ever-cheerful demeanor and his predisposition to extremely shiny cars. Those of us who have been part of Sharkfest for any amount of time know that we are a family - and we have lost one of our brothers. Please hold Steve in the light and send positive thoughts and warm wishes towards his wife, Linda, and the rest of his family during this difficult time.

Steve passed away quietly and peacefully on December 2nd after a courageous battle with lung cancer. He lived a healthy lifestyle and never smoked. I spoke with him not long after he was diagnosed and he was fighting the disease with the most positive, upbeat attitude I could ever imagine of someone in his situation.

Prior to his passing, several Sharkfesters drove up to Dayton, OH to see him and say goodbye. We encourage any other members of our extended e9 family to join the services.

His obituary and more information is available at:

http://www.bakerhazelsnider.com/book-of-memories/1996546/Bingham-Stephen/obituary.php

There will be a viewing this Saturday Dec. 6 in Dayton from 2:00pm - 4:00pm immediately followed by a memorial service. It will take place at:
Baker/Hazel & Snider Funeral Home
5555 Philadelphia Dr.
Dayton, OH 45415

I will follow up with additional information regarding possible charitable donations in his name and a place to send cards to his family. I ask that if anyone has photos or memories of Steve that they would like to share, to please forward them to me at [email protected].

Another member of our family put it best when he wrote to me yesterday evening in remembrance: "Rest buddy, it's all rags down from here."

We miss you Steve.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wow - very shocked and sorry to hear that. I bought several items from him, a genuinely nice person.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Steve "Blingham" was a really nice guy. I recently bought his triple weber carb setup; he was reinstalling the fuel injection in his coupe for his wife knowing he was not going to be around.

Kai -- I will repost here the offer I emailed to you. If Steve's family is not into cars, and (at the proper time) would like some help disposing of obscure parts and specialized tools and perhaps even a car or two, I would be willing to help. I know my wife wouldn't have the foggiest idea of how to dispose of my stuff and would probably dump it cheap (although in my case, my son is into cars and would take charge).

By way of example, identifying items, proper photographs, and ad content that accurately describes things really helps ensure they sell for a fair price. Alternatively, perhaps an auction in Steve's name at the next Sharkfest would be in order.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. One of the nicest gentlemen that I have met, and my wife agrees. He will be sorely missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Remembering Steve Bingham.

Haven't posted in a while but wanted to take a second to revive this post so that all those who knew Steve might take a second to tip a cap to him in remembrance.

- a short story ...

I had the coupe out this morning for the first time in a long while. I took it up to Hunt Valley Cars and Coffee and spent a few hours talking gears and grease with a ton of like minded enthusiasts. Had the pleasure of running into Kevin (KHB) which was a treat. Hadn't seen him in a year...

Also had an opportunity to chat with a few enthusiasts who were pinging me on my coupe, asking tons of questions about the hobby, the e9 and the brand in general. It was cool to reflect on my 10 years of coupe ownership.

I remember like it was yesterday, coming to this forum for the first time, soaking in all of the info i could on these wonderful cars, from so many knowledgeable and polite folks. Then, after about a year, seeing the coupe i had just purchased, unloaded in my folk's driveway after a six day, cross country trip from California.

The coupe was rough when i first bought it. Worn, checked, sandpaper textured paint, dry rotted interior, crappy running carbs... but no rust. To the those not versed in the history of the e9, it looked like a certified turd. But i knew what i had, and i wasn't at all deterred. I quickly sourced some triple 40s, slapped them on, tuned them up, and made plans to drive down to my first Vintage at the Vineyards (2007 i think), in Shelton, NC. That's where i met Steve Bingham for the first time. I remember driving in and the field marshals directing me to a spot on a hillside where the coupes were clustered. I was so excited to be in the 'club' and around so many great cars... and at the same time, embarrassed to find that the marshal was directing me to park right next to the most incredible coupe i'd ever seen in my life. There i was in my coupe - paint pealing, reeking of gas, torn and tattered leather seats, parked next to what i still consider to be the 'perfect' coupe. Stark contrast to say the least. But, again, though embarrassed a bit by the company i was keeping, i popped the hood to show off about the the only thing noteworthy about my car at the time... the webers. I yanked out a towel and started wiping down the engine bay, careful to not snag it on the 'wonderfully' patina'd paint on the fender (it was that bad). That's when Steve came over and started talking to me about my coupe. I felt proud being able to share my limited knowledge of the car, the little work i'd done on the engine, etc. Thought it was cool that this old guy was so genuinely interested in my ride, what i'd done to it, what my plans were for it... it was probably the first time i'd actually had an extended conversation with someone who actually knew a bit about the marque. So, after about 20 minutes of chatting, i asked him what kind of car he owned. He said that he had a coupe as well. I asked him if he had it at the show and he said, 'yeah, its that blue one right there...' . It was 'THE' coupe, the one right next to mine... literally, in my opinion, the most amazing BMW i'd ever seen in my life. It was perfect in every way. Better than showroom, exquisitely modified... with a shine that could blind you if you looked at it too long, and a reflection that was so deep, it almost felt 3d. And here was the owner, a humble, unbelievably friendly, warm, and inviting guy that had built one of the most amazing coupes in the hobby, chatting a 'new guy' up about our cars. Not a hint of arrogance, or sense of 'all knowing-ness'. just a wonderful human being. It was a great experience talking to him and hearing him explain all of the details of his car and the process it took to get it to where it was. We talked for a solid 45 minutes that day and would end up exchanging countless emails over the years that followed. Helping each other source parts, exchanging information, updating one another on the modifications we were making to our cars.

Steve hinted at his health issues a few times in emails, but never made a deal of any of it. I never knew how sick he was. My last interaction with him came not long before he passed. He contacted me to purchase an oil pan that i'd come to as part of a huge lot sale. I happily, and carefully packaged it and sent it his way. I remember still being flattered at the thought that the guy with the most incredible car i'd ever seen was contacting me to buy a part... The young guy who, several years before, was awe struck by this guy and his car, was now sending HIM parts.

It was a few months later that i found out that he died. just weeks after we'd emailed. I couldn't believe it.

And so there i was today, standing not far from my car, when a kid who'd spent about 5 minutes walking around my coupe, taking a bunch of pictures, wandered my way. I asked him if he was a BMW enthusiast and he said that he was. We started talking about his car, an '89 e24, and spent a good 10 or so minutes talking about how he came to it, how much he loved it and ultimately trying to help him diagnose a problem he was having with his steering. He didnt know which car was mine at first. I gave him what advice i could and pointed him in the direction of my favorite indy shop in Baltimore. He then asked me if i owned a BMW and i told him that i did, and pointed to my coupe. He gave me a look of surprise, one that reminded me of what my face probably looked like when i stood there talking to Steve for the first time some 10 years ago. That moment struck me. I know for most who read this (if anyone manages to get this far ;-) ) it wont resonate in any remarkable way. But for me, for one powerful moment, a feeling of sadness and pride came over me. Sadness in remembering Steve B. What his generosity and kindness meant to me over the years. How his story and car inspired me, and still inspire me to this day. Remembering for the first time in a while that he's no longer with us. Pride in that the time and sweat that i've invested in my car might inspire a young enthusiast... and that i might serve as an ambassador to the marque and our coupes, even if not with all the impossible grace and generosity of Steve B. It was a great experience. One that has honestly gotten me a little excited to get back into the garage.

I'm very much looking forward to The Vintage next month. Cant wait to get there, see some old friends and great cars. I'm sure its going to be as exciting as ever... and a bit sad to know that Steve wont be there to chat with... to talk cars, to show him how much i've done to my coupe, and to hear what his plans might be for his. He will be missed.

Thinking of you, Mr. Bingham... wishing you were here.

Richard

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, powerful and well said. I bought some things from him a few years back (including my dash speaker gauge cluster), he was (is) one of the good guys.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What a great story, we are so fortunate that our community shares its wealth of knowledge and extends a hand in friendship as well. I don't know of any other forum with these traits, thanks for sharing.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Richard, great story, great experience! I think there is a direct correlation between how much someone really knows and how humble they are- enough said-

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Richard -- thanks for reviving this thread, and for the memories of Steve. I didn't really get to know Steve -- I was getting into the e9 as Steve was moving on to the other side -- but he was a pleasure to deal with and I have his carbs on my car right now!

Let me know when you plan to head to the Vintage; I think perhaps a caravan is in order.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Hey Richard -- thanks for reviving this thread, and for the memories of Steve. I didn't really get to know Steve -- I was getting into the e9 as Steve was moving on to the other side -- but he was a pleasure to deal with and I have his carbs on my car right now!

Let me know when you plan to head to the Vintage; I think perhaps a caravan is in order.

No problem. And will certainly let you know. Put almost 150 miles on the coupe today. Ran like a dream. Still a ton of little stuff to do to get it 99%, but i'm pretty excited about the drive down to the Vintage.

Phil88m6

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I read the story. Spot on! I wasn't aware of Steve's presence here with you and others. Steve and I were/are charter members of Southeast Sharkfest. I met Steve at the first event in Scottsboro AL. His wife still has a stunning 633i that he brought to that event. Over the years Steve and Lynda became good friends at Sharkfest and were always one of the highlights of our Sharkfest events.

The Vintage event at the Vinyards you wrote about was the first time I too saw Steve's E9. I was just as enamored with the car. I urged Steve over the successive years to bring the car back to Sharkfest. The Weber carbs and other issues were long a long running project Steve was working through. Unfortunately the E9 never returned to Sharkfest with Steve, but we talked at length about the car.

After Steve's passing, Lynda attended last years Southeast Sharkfest event. I am glad she did. She too will remain one of the family of that event. I asked about the E9 and if she had any thoughts about what to do with it. She hadn't made any decisions and the car was stored at their home in Dayton. I told her, when she got ready, I was interested in the car and would like to talk to her about it. I knew the car had a following and many knew Steve. I didn't know what her thoughts would be, but was elated when she contacted me late last summer about the car. I drove up in October and looked at the car and all the related items. The car was not running and just as Steve left it in the middle of the fuel injection conversion. Lynda and I talked over the next several weeks. I had a lot of homework to do to figure out what I was getting into. In November we came to a fair agreement for both to acquire the car.

I picked up the car in January and have it in our shop now. In spite of a lot of effort, I was not able to get the car to Sharkfest this year. Work constraints and continued sourcing of parts and information just did not allow it. Yet the work pushes on and I am hoping to have the car ready for the Vintage in a couple of weeks. While I really wanted a return debut at Sharkfest, I think the Vintage will be an excellent return as it was there I too first saw the car.

Steve's work still lives on and the project has been an interesting one. Getting to know Steve has been a huge help as it has been easier to understand his thoughts and process on the project. I only hope we can keep things up to his standards! After much consideration, I opted to go with fuel injection as Steve was doing. I hope to have the car running within the next two weeks. I was Steve was still here to have finished the car himself. I am honored to be the owner and curator of the E9, but like many miss Steve very much. He was a great guy and a great car friend. Rest in peace Steve. If the car makes the Vintage please stop by and say hello. Know that Steve will be there in spirit!

Phil Parkey