steering wheels

cookbw

Reaction score
I want to get a replacement steering wheel for my car and I'm not sure how to tell which wheels will work. Is there any magic to determining whether or not a given steering wheel will fit properly? Any tips are appreciated...

hdavis

Reaction score
I've had 4 steering wheels on my car. When I bought it it came with a small ugly Momo, which I imediately replaced with a typical 360mm Nardi. After that I found an early 70s 400mm personal wheel, which IMHO looked great, but was a little thin. I now have a Petri wheel installed. This last one is by far the best of the lot.

They all fit very well

Attachments

• DSC01076 (Small).JPG
    DSC01076 (Small).JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC01421 (Small).JPG
    DSC01421 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 220

cookbw

Reaction score
do those steering wheels properly engage the turn-signal mechanism?

also...my turn signal is on the right hand side of the steering column and i'm not sure if that makes any difference.

jmackro

Reaction score
Is there any magic to determining whether or not a given steering wheel will fit properly? Any tips are appreciated...

What's not to fit? As long as you get the proper hub kit, any aftermarket wheel should fit. To me, the key thing is chosing the right wheel diameter. The original e9 wheels were huge - mine measures 16-5/8" = 422mm in diameter. To my eye, you need a relatively large wheel to "fill the space". I replaced my stock wheel with a 390mm Nardi - smaller than the original, but not so small that it looks silly (look at the photo that Henry posted of the "small ugly Momo" that came with his coupe, and you will see what I mean).

Nardi wheels come in 330, 360, and 390mm variants. I have gotten Nardi parts from Crowders Customizing http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/home.html though there are a number of vendors selling Nardi wheels and hubs.

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Do a search lots of info on this. I too replaced with 390 Nardi and love it. It looks less sporty but more elegant than the Petri. You will have a nicer grip with the Petri. The wood on the Nardi is not as wide...but it does give you that elegant look. Go with 380+...360 is too small.
abe

Last edited:

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I have the odd ball turn signal on the right too and it does not make a difference. Thats the wheel I bought...
good price don't know...fair price perhaps. I think I a paid close to that.
abe

Does anyone know if having the turn signal on the right side creates a problem when installing a new wheel?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would suggest you go with a 380mm steering wheel as it is probably the ideal size. Have used a rare 370mm Nardi, a 380mm four spoke Alpina, and presently using a 380mm Petri wheel.

There are 2 types of signal cancellers used. One is the integral canceller that is attached to the mounting hub, such as the Momo hubs and the other is a small ring type that just press fit onto the bottom of the wheel. These were used on the original BMW, Nardi and the Petri wheels. Whether the steering wheel canceller mechanism is on the left or the right, it does not present a problem. With the Momo type, just unbolt it, and spin it 180 degrees and remount. With the ring type, just pull out, reposition and remount.

Below pics will show steering wheels personally used and their cancellers' fitment.

P1030681.jpg

P1030665.jpg

380mm wheel looks much larger due to the closeup shot
037-1.jpg

P1030925.jpg

Momo hub as used on Alpinas, Momo and other after market wheels
P1030735.jpg

Ring canceller as used on oem BMW, Nardi and Petri wheels
P1030716.jpg

P1030715.jpg

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score

That $340 price doesn't look bad. The place I mentioned, Crowders charges $377 for the 390mm Nardis (I never said they were the cheapest, just that they had a good selection). One thing I like about the ebay wheel is that it has a BMW logo horn button - those can be tough to find.

The photos that Bert35csi posted do a good job of illustrating how all this goes together. The same MOMO hub works with a variety of wheels, including the Nardi. You sandwich the stock turn signal cancelling thingy between the hub and the column. As I recall, I had to put a couple of flatwashers behind my TS switch to shim it outward a little, so it would catch the cancelling thingy.

Last edited:

tazio03

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone writing about this subject, as I'm looking to replace the steering wheel on my coupe, and have been wondering what to replace the original (HUGE) steering wheel with something more appealing, the Petri wheel seems to be the one I like the best, my question is where might one find this Wheel.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone writing about this subject, as I'm looking to replace the steering wheel on my coupe, and have been wondering what to replace the original (HUGE) steering wheel with something more appealing, the Petri wheel seems to be the one I like the best, my question is where might one find this Wheel.

If you are referring to the Petri 380mm CSL leather steering wheel, then good luck as they are very hard to come by. In addition to the 380mm leather clad wheel, there were also a 350mm for 2002's and a 400mm wheels for the CS coupes and the 3.0 sedans. These latter 2 wheels were clad with a rubberized/foam material. These Petri wheels do come up from time to time on German ebay in various conditions. Excellent 380mm examples usually go for anywhere from $500-$750.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I am surely outnumbered but I break a lance for the late stock steering wheel.

broken_lance.jpg

Outnumbered or not, Robert Wagner's also a fan of mediaeval weaponry but using one in a western B movie wasn't to be unfortunately......haven't heard that phrase used in quite awhile.

Unusual as it is, this custom made wheel seems to offer the advantages of both with the clean styling offers in a package not quite as commonly seen in the larger sizes. And I like it!

Picture2-9.png

:mrgreen:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Right on schedule!

broken_lance.jpg

Outnumbered or not, Robert Wagner's also a fan of mediaeval weaponry but using one in a western B movie wasn't to be unfortunately......haven't heard that phrase used in quite awhile.

QUOTE]

Leave it to Ran.... One wrong word and off into space he goes! Wheeeee

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

QUOTE]

Leave it to Ran.... One wrong word and off into space he goes! Wheeeee

I guess I provoked him...

That wheel is interesting, but it reminds me of a french crepe maker.