STEERING COLUM TOP COVER REMOVAL

RIQUE

Reaction score
I am about to replace the ignitions switch on my 72 and noticed the top steering cover needs fresh paint. How do I remove this cover?
Is it overly complicated. I would greatly appreciate some instructions.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sorry, thought i had answered this - which was same answer as Chris. not that hard of a job, but definitely not a fun job. (it may be possible to remove the seat, unbolt the column from the underside of the dash - drop it down and paint it right there ... IF you protect everything else from the paint.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless your interior is pristine (opposite of mine), I would consider spray painting it in place.

The overspray can be controlled through judicious use of masking tape and plastic sheets. A light coat goes a long way.
To me that's a lot easier than crawling under the dashboard and whacking my head on the steering wheel 25 times.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unless your interior is pristine (opposite of mine), I would consider spray painting it in place.

The overspray can be controlled through judicious use of masking tape and plastic sheets. A light coat goes a long way.
To me that's a lot easier than crawling under the dashboard and whacking my head on the steering wheel 25 times.
Sounds right to me, remove the bottom plate (easy) and paint it, mask the top plate and paint it.

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've removed this piece a few times from a 2000cs (they had the cool little chrome angle-light for the key) and a couple 2002's and it wasn't too difficult,,,
It's been a few decades but I recall using a dremel with thin cut-off wheel and cutting a slot into the bolt heads that hold the top cover in place (4 of em?), then a large flathead screwdriver was all that was needed to remove and replace.
HTH.

Steve-o

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
depending on the issue, when you paint it you might need to add texture
I experimented with several products, I can't remember for sure but I think I liked the fake rock texture spray paint