Starter

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With the recent discussion on replacing starters and which ones will fit, I pulled mine and it has a Bosch SR-41X. I bought a permanent magnet starter which is an SR-441X, they are identical except for the diameter of the housing. Our coupes came with the SR-71X, which also fits the 2002, and the SR-41X I believe is just a later version. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• CIMG4409.jpg
    CIMG4409.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 130
  • CIMG4410.jpg
    CIMG4410.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 122

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Starters

Chris:

Does the SR 441x require more current to run it? Apparently it produces more torque than the SR 71x and wonder if it needs more cranking amps. Also the connections I believe are different in the number of spades - what did you do to adapt the stock harness?

Thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It takes no more power but produces more torque due to the magnet I believe. I haven't installed it yet but I have carbs and there are only the main power and 1 spade to connect on my `73.

(ignore the green coolant, I will use pure BMW coolant next time!)

Attachments

• CIMG4386.jpg
    CIMG4386.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 99

jmackro

Reaction score
Chris:

An interesting comparison. But, don't you think running your starters through the washer and dryer was a bit, uh excessive?

Attachments

• Chris starter.jpg
    Chris starter.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

m_thompson

Reaction score
Well, truth be told, I have been known to run engine parts through the dishwasher.

You can only do that when your wife is not home and you have time for another wash cycle after the parts are done. I was told that Cascade helps keep water spots off the parts too. ;-)