Stainless exhaust tail pipe reproduction

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stainless steel tail pipe 60 mm for the 3.0 CS

I would like to gauge the interest for a replacement stainless steel tail pipe section for the 3.0 liter CS. I have never liked the plain stock steel version, nor the cheesy chrome tail ends some have installed. The chrome ends stick out further and you see the old pipe in front of them (because of the proximity of the last bend in the pipe). The pipe is also visible behind the rear wheel and I am thinking a stainless version will be easier to keep clean at this visible location. I am hoping this will be a better solution.

I would need to fabricate a minimum run of 10 of these pipes. They would be 304 stainless, 60 mm (2-3/8” O.D), mandrel bent, with a flare at the front end. The exposed tail end of the pipe will be polished. I am considering pricing these at $250-275 each (depending on final costs). Included will be the pipe, metal ring gasket, 3 bolt flange ring, and stainless bolts. If there is some interest I will go ahead and make some up and then post photos. Below is a photo of the existing pipe which typically are rusty and have constrictions at each of the bends from the bending process.

Note these would be designed to attach to the stock 3.0 muffler output flange. These can be removed and installed without needing to put the car on the lift. It might be slightly easier if the rear was raised a bit by driving up on some wood blocks.

Please let me know in this post or PM if you would be interested or have questions.

Attachments

• SteelTailPipeE.jpg
    SteelTailPipeE.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 301

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sven, is that the factory tailpipe or is it aftermarket? Does not appear stock to me, don't recall the factory pipes having such abrupt bends. I would have been interested, but recently purchased the W&N Larini SS exhaust system.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bert - that is the factory pipe. The bends are all needed to clear the tire and fit between the quarter panel skirt and the tire well. Definitely not straight.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Sven,

I think BMW probably had different tail pipes in different years. Mine is more curved and I believe the system is OEM componants though just the two muffler variety. Why the 2 3/8" instead of 2 1/2" like the rest of your system?

Doug

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Doug

Looks like the two ends of the pipe are the same. The center of yours is a continuous curve, whereas the one I have (maybe newer?) has two distinct bends in the center section. They both wrap around the spare tire well and should be interchangable (assuming they are both 60mm diameter). Wasn't there a 55mm system out there (for the 2800?)?

Why the 2 3/8" instead of 2 1/2" like the rest of your system?

I thought I would try the 2-3/8" first to see if there is a demand for them. Perhaps then onto the 2-1/2" with a Magnaflow muffler.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Looking forward to the results - might be interested in a 2.5".

I got the offset/offset 24" oval and will have to slide it as far to the driver side as possible to make it fit. Even then I will probably have to use the 180 from the muffler to bring it back in line with the cross under point on the half shaft. Guess that is why CK used the 18".

Doug

p.smitty

Reaction score
SS tailpipe

I would be up for buying a Stainless tailpipe. I agree, the chrome tiops do not look right.

Pat
510-579-1887

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is 2.5 or 2.25 the correct size for a Magnaflow ? Or am I mixing ID and OD ?

David - the diameter quoted is the OD. Exhaust pipe is actually tubing, and hence sizes are quoted in OD. I am not sure which would be the correct size as I don't know your setup.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
There are (were?) 2 different diameter tail pipes depending on whether the car was a 2800 or 3.0. The parts books show the 3.0 pipes as 55mm. I think the 2800 pipes were 50mm.

I think the smaller diameter 2800 exhaust system parts have long been NLA.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Tail pipes available

I finally got a run of 10 done and did a test install on a local coupe. Fits nicely. His coupe had the original more curved version of the pipe. The mandrel bent pipe fits great. The newer BMW ones are bent but not with a mandrel so the bends are a smaller diameter.

If anyone is interested $275 plus shipping. These will only fit the stock rear muffler that came with the 3.0. I can cut the length to your preference. The one in the photo is just about even with the outer edge of the rubber bumper.

Parts included:

2-3/8" (60mm) diameter stainless steel pipe (mandrel bent with one tig weld near muffler pipe flare). The end of pipe visible at the rear will be polished.

New metal "O" ring (for mating the two flares).

Stainless steel bolts.

Used 3-hole flange. If you want a new one then add $10, otherwise I will reuse the old ones. They need to be slipped on before I weld the tab that holds the rear of the tail pipe up.

Rubber holder and stainless bolts for rear support.

PM with questions, etc.
Thanks,

Attachments

• TailPipeOld.jpg
    TailPipeOld.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 224
  • TailPipeNew.jpg
    TailPipeNew.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 211
  • MufflerFlareEnd.jpg
    MufflerFlareEnd.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 224

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There are (were?) 2 different diameter tail pipes depending on whether the car was a 2800 or 3.0. The parts books show the 3.0 pipes as 55mm. I think the 2800 pipes were 50mm.

I think the smaller diameter 2800 exhaust system parts have long been NLA.

not exactly

the 3.0 CS came originally with a 60mm diameter
the 2800 came with a 55mm diameter

i found that actually bmw only sells the 55mm version, and the 60mm one is NLA

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jesus,

so the original diameter of the tailpipe rather than the chrome finsher was 60mm?

Are these tail pipes listed above still available?

Thanks,

Rohan

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tail pipe that exits the muffler is available along with all three mufflers.
In stainless from W&N and CoupeKing. According to the ad the CK is more appropriate for 3.5 engine with performance modifications and W&N for 2800 or 3.0. Any thoughts on this?