Squeaking noises from dashboard

pmansson

Reaction score
When removing the instrument cluster for service, I lowered the steering column slightly, and removed the long alu and chrome strip along the dashboard, as well as the black rail of the dashboard (by removing the 8-10 screws).

After refitting everything, I now have these squeaking noises when driving slowly on uneven roads. The noise seems to come from the dashboard. It seems to go away or lessen when I press a hand on the black rail (which encompasses the hazard warning light switch).

I can of course remove the alu/chrome cover plate and tighten the screws even more, or I even thought of putting a small piece of thin rubber or stiff foam behind each screw mounting point.

The squeaking noise is irritating, (and I have it on another coupe as well, where the black dashboard rail has been out and back in after instrument servicing.....)

pmansson

Reaction score
When removing the instrument cluster for service, I lowered the steering column slightly, and removed the long alu and chrome strip along the dashboard, as well as the black rail of the dashboard (by removing the 8-10 screws).

After refitting everything, I now have these squeaking noises when driving slowly on uneven roads. The noise seems to come from the dashboard. It seems to go away or lessen when I press a hand on the black rail (which encompasses the hazard warning light switch).

I can of course remove the alu/chrome cover plate and tighten the screws even more, or I even thought of putting a small piece of thin rubber or stiff foam behind each screw mounting point.

The squeaking noise is irritating, (and I have it on another coupe as well, where the black dashboard rail has been out and back in after instrument servicing.....)

Malc

Reaction score
Ah squeaks :?
I once had to find one in a Vauxhall Carlton. While the guy was driving I was in the boot, on the floor, basically everywhere. We thought it came from the rear behind the seats
Long story short found - it was under the dash by the A- pillar some spot welds had failed.
Remember you not only disturbed the rail but the instruments and the steering column so you need to make sure they are secured. I know how frustrating it can be to find the cause - Good luck

Malc

Reaction score
Ah squeaks :?
I once had to find one in a Vauxhall Carlton. While the guy was driving I was in the boot, on the floor, basically everywhere. We thought it came from the rear behind the seats
Long story short found - it was under the dash by the A- pillar some spot welds had failed.
Remember you not only disturbed the rail but the instruments and the steering column so you need to make sure they are secured. I know how frustrating it can be to find the cause - Good luck