Spanish Customs nightmare

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I sold and shipped a set of the blue book manuals in early October to a fellow member living in Malaga, Spain. Filled out the Customs declarations form clearly, with a declared value of $300 and labeling the contents as used car repair manuals. It was also insured for the stated value.

USPS and the Spanish post offices did their jobs in a speedy manner respectively, with the parcel arriving in Madrid in a speedy 4 days and going into Spanish Customs.

From this point forward, everything stopped. The manuals were then being withheld indefinitely beginning on October 15 and it has been held there since. About a month ago, I contacted the Spanish PO via email and they stated they will look into the matter, but there has been nary a response since.

A few days ago, I was contacted by the buyer who said Spanish customs will not release the package. They stated that a purchase invoice is needed. He presented his PayPal payment receipt, but to no avail, the parcel will not be released. So I guess the package will be returned to me at some point and when received, a refund will be sent back to the buyer. Oh, what a headache this matter has become.

In the future, if I were to send something again to the EU, are there any tips and insights that will facilitate easier Customs handling and avoid a repeat of this fiasco happening again? I wonder if I had declared the manuals as a gift and at a lesser value, would it had help matters any? Thanks!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you know that $300.00 equates to almost 60.00 in VAT?
If you had sent that package via FedEx with a FedEx account they would have nailed you for VAT tax.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think Don is right, most decent countries charge no import tariffs on books, it must be VAT. Europeans are obsessed with VAT.
I guess it will be a Return To Sender, but really slow.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you know that $300.00 equates to almost 60.00 in VAT?
If you had sent that package via FedEx with a FedEx account they would have nailed you for VAT tax.
Don’t have any experience with the EU VAT. It’s my 1st time sending a shipment of value to Europe. I think the central issue is Spanish Customs not abling to determine what the manuals are actually worth without an actual selling invoice. This is the message from the buyer, so I don’t have all the details involved. If the only issue is the VAT payment, I’d gladly go half with the buyer.

“Hello, Unfortunately I couldn't proof the item value for custom to be cleared because I don't have any invoice for that. I tried to send a PayPal confirmation and a picture of box sticker with value displayed but they're not satisfied with it.
So it seems the parcel will return to you soon”.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I sold and shipped a set of the blue book manuals in early October to a fellow member living in Malaga, Spain. Filled out the Customs declarations form clearly, with a declared value of $300 and labeling the contents as used car repair manuals. It was also insured for the stated value.

USPS and the Spanish post offices did their jobs in a speedy manner respectively, with the parcel arriving in Madrid in a speedy 4 days and going into Spanish Customs.

From this point forward, everything stopped. The manuals were then being withheld indefinitely beginning on October 15 and it has been held there since. About a month ago, I contacted the Spanish PO via email and they stated they will look into the matter, but there has been nary a response since.

A few days ago, I was contacted by the buyer who said Spanish customs will not release the package. They stated that a purchase invoice is needed. He presented his PayPal payment receipt, but to no avail, the parcel will not be released. So I guess the package will be returned to me at some point and when received, a refund will be sent back to the buyer. Oh, what a headache this matter has become.

In the future, if I were to send something again to the EU, are there any tips and insights that will facilitate easier Customs handling and avoid a repeat of this fiasco happening again? I wonder if I had declared the manuals as a gift and at a lesser value, would it had help matters any? Thanks!

you have the reason in your text, as response from customs. You must provide with an invoice in the parcel, they will not calculate the price, no time for that, it is your declaration

more precise, four invoices, one in the outside of parcel, and three more in a separate evelop to be used by ups

the process is the same the other way round, I must provide with those invoices when I ship to the us,

this has nothing to do with vat, or proving the price of the items, once you provide invoices the Vat is calculated and charged to the receiver here

strange that UPS did not guide you through this, in my case the invoices are generated automatically by the ups web page when I choose USA, and in the printout there it comes the label plus the four invoices

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I get 4 invoices from FedEx- I sign each one and they go with the package.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
ordering now a lot of packages at Corvette Central ( no , no more W & N :D ) i pay average 1/3 in VAT and import dutys here in Belgium..... :oops:

merdad

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I buy a lot of parts from UK for my Range Rover, shipped to Paris. They are usually sent by DHL and they act as a broker on my behalf. They send me a bill for customs, handling and VAT, which I pay online. Once done, easy delivery. But at almost a 30% total cost.
If I buy from eBay, costs are automatically added to the invoice, and had no problem being delivered.

CTD

Reaction score
I have had this issue before. What I have learned: don't use USPS. Other shippers like DHL, Fedex, UPS, Schenker, DPD, GLS,... don't let you ship it without the proper documentation.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have used USPS several times to Europe and Turkey - never had a problem
Yes - you just need to do all the paperwork yourself - and have CLEAN handwriting....

Every situation is different though - YMMV

Last edited: