SOLD: Authentic 380mm CSL Petri - Original Leather

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
As many of you saw, I recently purchased a CSL leather Petri in outstanding condition from @Keshav a couple weeks back. It's lovely.

What that means is the first CSL leather Petri I purchased from Keshav, about 18 months ago, is now for sale. All original, excellent leather with patina and chrome in good shape. It's not a show piece, but would make a very nice wheel for a driver level CSL. It will come with an authentic E9 3-ring Petri hub and authentic (not a copy) Petri hub cover. No button but I'm sure one of the usuals could locate one for you. Side note: I DO have a CSL 4-ring (clone) hub and correct 4-ring cover but I'm on the fence about letting that go. We can chat if you really need it.

I'll post pictures later today. Asking $2900 which is what I have into it.

DM me for details if interested. For serious potential buyers, I can bring it to the 02 Swap on May 6th in Brisbane if you want to see it in person.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Note: This is one of the Petri that was produced without the Petri or 38 stamp. It's obviously an authentic Petri but there's been conjecture on whether these were early wheels set aside for CSLs to hand stich (painfully obvious these were done one by one) before stamping took place. The opinions are varied!

20230419_083630.jpg20230419_083642.jpg20230419_083647.jpg20230419_083651.jpg20230419_083721.jpg20230419_083734.jpg20230419_083745.jpg20230419_083828.jpg20230419_083755.jpg

Attachments

• 20230419_083743.jpg
    20230419_083743.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 90

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So Nice! I would be all over it if I wasn’t house poor. :(

No concerns from me on the Petri stamp. I’ve seen other blank Petri (and momo) wheels. We can only guess why there are so many variations. The foam Petri sport wheel has countless variations but the CSL wheel is easily recognizable with consistent leather wrapped across the CSL production run.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
but the CSL wheel is easily recognizable with consistent leather wrapped across the CSL production run.
Indeed - It looks like Stevie Wonder took up stitching for the leather CSL wheels. Still, the details are super fascinating as each one is entirely unique.

aguirola

Reaction score
Thanks to Tyson's lecture on Petri wheels, I approached mine with dread ( the one that came from the race car)
and, lo and behold, it is...Frankenstein and 4 loops on the hub. 38,5 cm diameter.
Thank you Tyson!
I am back home, well, and recovering.
See you next time...

Regards,
Alberto
IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

aguirola

Reaction score
PS. The $64K question remains, this car was not a special order, it was a 3.0 CSi Euro version,
sold from the dealer's floor in El Salvador. Just sitting around waiting for a buyer...
So why the wheel? Maybe it even has a LSD? anything else to look for mechanically?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to Tyson's lecture on Petri wheels, I approached mine with dread ( the one that came from the race car)
and, lo and behold, it is...Frankenstein and 4 loops on the hub. 38,5 cm diameter.
Thank you Tyson!
I am back home, well, and recovering.
See you next time...

Regards,
AlbertoView attachment 161850
View attachment 161851
Great find, Alberto!

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi,
any knowledge about the way they produced the leather version?
Did they use the "standard foamed" version and wrapped the leather around it, or did they use a different base model?
Petri Lederbezug.JPG
The lower one is the one from CSL, just received new leather cover
The upper is the foamed version.
And here a detail showing the new stitching

ThomasPetri new stitching.JPG

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't believe they did. It's very hard to replicate the way they handle the edges of the leather where they meet the spokes. You can see this in your rewrap. I've not really seen a rewrap that accurately replicates the original. I also haven't seen THAT many CSL Petris. There aren't lots of them around.

Hans W.

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi,
any knowledge about the way they produced the leather version?
Did they use the "standard foamed" version and wrapped the leather around it, or did they use a different base model?
View attachment 164177
The lower one is the one from CSL, just received new leather cover
The upper is the foamed version.
And here a detail showing the new stitching

ThomasView attachment 164178
The foam of a CSL Petri is different. It doesn't have the fake stitching at the inside and it doesn't have the fake seem at 6 o'clock. The "thumbpads" are rectangular shaped. The thickness of the foam is also different. After covering it with leather, it has roughly the same thickness as the foam version with the "triangle" shaped "thumbpads".