SOLD-1991 S38B36 Drivetrain 121K- would go great with the Black E9 I just saw listed!

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a dilemma.

Sold the E9 on BAT and turned around and bought a 1990 M5 120K.

It has some rust on the body. A little more than I would prefer. I am unsure how to proceed with the car.

Here is the car Stats:

1990 M5

Interior is in pretty good shape. Probably better than most.

Body panels are good. Paint in decent shape.

Shock towers are good.

Main parts of the floor panels are good

Runs fast but still need to do a compression check

Newer exhaust system

121K miles

Last 6 months:

New mass air flow sensor

New crankshaft sensor replaced

Oil change

Coolant flush

THE BAD:
Car lived most of its life in Ontario, Canada

The areas under the car behind the front wheels are shot- Rusted. Does not seem to go into the floor panel area. More along the outside edge. Can’t really lift the front wheels of the car by the standard jack locations.

The gas tank and fuel lines should be replaced at some point.

The front struts need refurb (I have an E32 in my backyard that has good front struts and could swap)

The transmission has two mounting points at the rear of the unit. One is cracked/broken. (I already ordered the case piece and it is in transit)

Needs a new clutch Still drivable and runs fast once you get past the 45MPH-55MPH shake that occurs likely due to the blown front drivers side Strut.

THERE IS THE INFORMATION ON THE CAR. NOW THE DILEMMA.

Would love to fix the items indicated and just drive it. But, I would still be dealing with some of the rust issues.

I have already scheduled to have the casing replaced, clutch replaced, and a compression check done.

I plan to get this work done unless someone really thinks they may want to use the car for a swap or refurb the current car. Scheduled to get done 1st week in January.

I would let go for $10800. This would include the rear case piece to make the transmission whole. I would also have a compression check done before the deal is completed. A drive video would be included just so the buyer can feel confident the car is currently in driving condition. Additionally, I will take pictures of the body location I am concerned about.

Not really planning to actively sell it other than the post here.

The drive train can be removed, and the interior, wheels and other parts sold to recoup some cost.

Just an idea. PM me if you are interested.

Gordon
IMG_02331.jpg
IMG_02321.jpgIMG_02341.jpgIMG_02351.jpgIMG_02361.jpgIMG_02371.jpgIMG_02381.jpgIMG_02391.jpg

Last edited:

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump- figured I would bump it a couple of times. In about two weeks I am going to start with all new suspension and brakes along with new clutch. But, if there was interest in using this drive train or car, as is, i might be interested in letting it go.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bump- One last time. Decided I would take $9800.

The compression check is done by a local shop. Not so bad for a car with these miles.
Performed compression check. Done with engine hot.

Cyl #1 172psi
Cyl #2 190psi
Cyl #3 178psi
Cyl #4 170psi
Cyl #5 188psi
Cyl #6 195psi