Simple Things that make garage time better

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Every now and then you re purpose something worth little and it is a hit....In my case it makes time lying on a cold cement floor under my car much more pleasant.
I had an old Therma rest 3/4 length camp mattress and sewed a cover out of a piece of heavy duty Tarp I had lying around. The foam pad has an air valve so you can adjust it to be as Comfy as a bed.
The tarp material seems impervious to oil, so you can wipe it clean with any cleaner. Now I can have a nap when I get tired. Also made a pillow out of the same material.

What have you got in your garage that is simple and makes time puttering more pleasant?
IMG_2467.jpeg

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have seen but also work under the car laying on an old foam from the bed.

Really good option. Warm and soft. So many of them are being thrown away today.

I've been kneeling on a parts of rear car's bench. Really comfortable and can be cut to proper shape easily.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I was doing the interior in 2021 I "stole" one of the seat cushions from our deck chairs. That made a huge difference when I was sitting inside or outside the coupe. A little cushion goes a long way on my old bones! That cushion is still in the garage and getting good use as I sit on the floor for some of the work I am doing now.

Comfort:
Heat makes a huge difference here in the cold of late fall, winter and early spring. I added an electric heater a few years ago that has made a huge difference.

I have an Amazon Alexa device in the garage and like to listen to music or to books while spending hours with the car. I have an old multi-function (tape, cd, radio) stereo that I thought I would put in the garage, but the Alexa device is so small and the sound is good enough...when things get really loud and I need hearing protection I have a set of 3M headphones with Bluetooth that do a nice job and allow me to keep listening to whatever...

Lighting:
I upgraded the lights in the garage this year with t5 LED strip lights (T8's would have been too bright). I had a few extra light tubes so I epoxied a couple of rare-earth magnets to the back and I can use them under the car when I have it up on the lift. I am very happy with the Barrina lights from Amazon

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was doing the interior in 2021 I "stole" one of the seat cushions from our deck chairs. That made a huge difference when I was sitting inside or outside the coupe. A little cushion goes a long way on my old bones! That cushion is still in the garage and getting good use as I sit on the floor for some of the work I am doing now.

Comfort:
Heat makes a huge difference here in the cold of late fall, winter and early spring. I added an electric heater a few years ago that has made a huge difference.

I have an Amazon Alexa device in the garage and like to listen to music or to books while spending hours with the car. I have an old multi-function (tape, cd, radio) stereo that I thought I would put in the garage, but the Alexa device is so small and the sound is good enough...when things get really loud and I need hearing protection I have a set of 3M headphones with Bluetooth that do a nice job and allow me to keep listening to whatever...

Lighting:
I upgraded the lights in the garage this year with t5 LED strip lights (T8's would have been too bright). I had a few extra light tubes so I epoxied a couple of rare-earth magnets to the back and I can use them under the car when I have it up on the lift. I am very happy with the Barrina lights from Amazon
Neat Boonies, I am assuming you replaced flourescent tubes with the LEDs? I have added a few over head LED lights and they are fantastic. Mostly my garage has flourescent tubes for lighting. For my sound system, I bought a FiOO Bluetooth DAC that is hooked into one of two stereo amps. I can summon up Siri from my phone to play whatever I want. Many years ago my wife gave me a hard time about stereo speakers being big and ugly, so I removed it all and moved it to my shop. 8 speakers now hooked up in 4 zones. Made some custom enclosures for the speakers to hang them from the ceiling. One set of speakers (Paisley 400s) I bought in the early 80's with money earned from my first year of gainful employment. Had some high end amps at one point, but it all got blown up when a storm took out the neutral wire to my shop power ten years ago.