Should I or shouldn't I change the paint color from black to ?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

let me help you with this a little bit. first, use the 'T' bolts that are made for the belt trim ... they fit into the groove on the back side of the belt trim and slide so you can align them with the holes in the body. there are 47 if i remember correctly. The T bolts have thin heads that are narrowed to fit into the groove

second, if you have recently painted the car, before you have the belt trim installed, wait as long as you can up to a month. too much pressure on the paint will cause it to ripple around the belt trim which will damage your fresh paint.

third, get the belt trim shims from Carl Nelson - these shims hold the belt trim off of the paint slightly. you put them on the 'T' bolt just before you install it on the car.

fourth, use new rubber backed nuts to install the belt trim - they mount within the body cavity on the other side of the sheet metal. the rubber fits between the body and the nut and will seal the holes to keep water from infiltrating the interior thru the holes that the 'T' bolts go thru. when tightening the rubber backed nuts, tighten them to hand tight, not much more ... this is what can cause your paint to ripple. you don't want them too loose or they can vibrate off ... you want to flatten the rubber slightly.

the T bolt is part number - 51135780108 + getbmwparts lists them for 3.30 each. the nuts listed on realoem are [URL='http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=3435-USA-03-1972-E9-BMW-30CS&mg=51&sg=20&diagId=51_3429&q=51135780115']51135780115, and they are listed on getbmwparts for .65 each, which seems a bit inexpensive for a rubber backed nut. that is also the parts numbers listed in the orange books.[/URL]

you can buy a set of everything you need from W+N for 122 euro
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/set-of-trim-line-fasteners-with-nuts.html

51131400027_1.jpg

51131400027_2.jpg

Omg I really love this group. What can I do to repay you for all of your advice over the years? Can I please send you a SCOTTeVEST as a small token of my appreciation? Please direct message me your current address and size. Thank you so very much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott P, are the rubber backed nuts available from BMW? I bought the set from WN but am short a few (stripped one)

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
other than comments above, is there anything else we should be prepared for, e.g. do i need to buy rubber window stuff in advance, or is it expected that he can reuse all rubber, etc/

this information is extremely helpful.

thanks everyone.

damienh

Reaction score
Apparently it's essential to know the correct procedure when removing and refitting the screen, if your guy isn't familiar with this model.

Lots of info on the site about this, and it's definitely worth getting recommendations on who to buy rubber from. I have some rust bubbles from cracked leaky rubber, so unless yours is perfect it would be worth looking at replacing front and back.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Apparently it's essential to know the correct procedure when removing and refitting the screen, if your guy isn't familiar with this model.

Lots of info on the site about this, and it's definitely worth getting recommendations on who to buy rubber from. I have some rust bubbles from cracked leaky rubber, so unless yours is perfect it would be worth looking at replacing front and back.

What screen are you talking about? I will look for the links on the rubber replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
On replacing the rubber seals, that is sort of like 'to paint the engine compartment', where do you start and end?
Depends on condition and in my mind keeping everything in balance
I am replacing all the rubber parts, mine were pretty sad
It does add up to quite a bit of $ for all the seals
You have to pull the windshield to remove the dash and headliner
What some people do for a dash is to have a place called Just Dashes recover it
There is a fair lead time on that

inovermyhead

Reaction score
While I think black is a great colour for our cars, be aware that the body underneath needs to be in absolute perfect condition, black shows every imperfection and magnifies them ten fold, poor prep WILL show, but get it right and it will look a million dollars.

John

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
While I think black is a great colour for our cars, be aware that the body underneath needs to be in absolute perfect condition, black shows every imperfection and magnifies them ten fold, poor prep WILL show, but get it right and it will look a million dollars.

John
It is already black, and looks like a million dollars already, with some slight nicks over the years and only one small bubble forming on the hood, that is hard to see unless you are looking for it. He is not going to bare metal, but rather painting over the paint now, so since the paint looks good now, I am hoping it can't look worse, right?

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Sorry I thought you were going right back to metal, if it looks good now I’m sure it will look brilliant after it’s done, do make sure to get new screen rubbers though, be careful not to twist or deform the aluminium trim when removing them.
Good luck with the project.

John