Shop Suggestions

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In 2006 & 2007 we built our 24 x 48 with a 24 x 24 ell garage, 1,750 square feet on the 1st floor.

Recommend:
6 inches of underfloor styrofoam insulation
Radiant floor heat tied to 6 inch steel 6 x 8 sheets.
Dyed & dually reinforced floating slab
Metal roof

Wish I had plumbed a hose inside.

Consider a Timber Frame with Super Insulated Panels or SIPs. The overall cost is similar to stick building.

Room for 7 cars with 1 lift, 8 cars with 2 lifts (2nd on back order currently)

Garage Paint 08.JPG
Garage PEX 11.JPG
Garage Floor 42.JPG
Garage Ell Interior Drywall 01.JPG
Garage in East 03.JPG
Garage 2nd in West xx1.JPG
Shrine 02.jpg
IMG_3101.JPG
IMG_3429.jpeg
Under cover.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
One day, I'd like to live in a house with radiant floor heat. Now that is a shop!! With those steel beams a nice rolling overhead hoist would be nice for lifting big stuff on tables or carts. I have one I bought used that can handle 1000 pounds.

Last edited:

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In 2006 & 2007 we built our 24 x 48 with a 24 x 24 ell garage, 1,750 square feet on the 1st floor.

Recommend:
6 inches of underfloor styrofoam insulation
Radiant floor heat tied to 6 inch steel 6 x 8 sheets.
Dyed & dually reinforced floating slab
Metal roof

Wish I had plumbed a hose inside.

Consider a Timber Frame with Super Insulated Panels or SIPs. The overall cost is similar to stick building.

Room for 7 cars with 1 lift, 8 cars with 2 lifts (2nd on back order currently)

View attachment 103889View attachment 103890View attachment 103891View attachment 103892View attachment 103893View attachment 103894View attachment 103895View attachment 103896View attachment 103897View attachment 103898

Just beautiful, Andrew! I love seeing pics of your garage. The wood and steel beams are incredible together. I fear the only thing we'll have in common is the same mitre saw stand and a coupe. If we ever get out of this covid mess, though, I'd happily come spend the night in your shop!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here is a nutty idea:
(1) install a portable water storage tank in the attic. Replenish from the house with a house or ?
(2) tank gravity feeds a sink faucet (cold only). Sink drains into a small French drain outside the shop.
(3) put a sign above the sink reminding you and all users to only use biodegradable eco friendly soap. Exercise the discipline to use the system properly knowing it drains into your ground .

Probably totally illegal by modern code, but the PO of my barn had a system like this so he could have a wash up sink in his wood shop. I’d guess by the faucet that it was in place starting in the 1950’s. Tempting to resurrect it someday, until the authorities catch me and lock me up.

I think I might be able to accomplish something similar with a rain barrel. We haven't had sustained freezing in quite some time sufficient to raise concern with my current barrel. Friend has a pump and rough filter on his that he uses without a problem.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing they use at portable/mobile wash-up stations at Watkins Glen. If combined with gravity feed (tank up in the attic), it would serve my needs for fresh water in a workshop. Here in NE is need to add a heater element in the winter, but those are cheap.

This is the cleaner I currently use, and which should be ok to dump into the ground: Stoko Kresto 87045 Hand Cleaner

F445BB6C-EB7A-4E2E-A2AC-AE40927BB082.jpeg
:

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If one were going through the trouble of "bringing" water from the house to an overhead container, it seems it wouldn't be much more trouble to capture the grey/waste water from the garage sink and bring it back into the house to an existing drain (wash tub, sink, tub).

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
capture the grey/waste water from the garage sink

Sure it’s possible. I have a friend that does this (uses a 5 gallon bucket). But I’m the guy who would forget and overflow the bucket onto my nice 200 year old wood floor.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing they use at portable/mobile wash-up stations at Watkins Glen. If combined with gravity feed (tank up in the attic), it would serve my needs for fresh water in a workshop. Here in NE is need to add a heater element in the winter, but those are cheap.

This is the cleaner I currently use, and which should be ok to dump into the ground: Stoko Kresto 87045 Hand Cleaner

View attachment 103899:
That's the one I have. Really works well

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PO had it setup as a woodworking shop. Sux big time when you drop an antique chisel onto a concrete floor.
My wood shop is in the basement of our house in the woods. Concrete floor. And yes, metal tools do not fare well against it. But it is quite easy to roll around a 600 lb planer and a 400 lb jointer on the concrete.