Shifter Console

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, I am refurbishing my shifter console (which needed to be changed to accommodate the change from an auto to a manual transmission) and am trying to improve the look of the two anodized aluminum plates under the window switches. Mine are knicked up around the switches. Polishing obscures, but does not remove the knicks.

DeQuincy (setting the gold standard as he often does) redid the anodizing -
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18724 - which looks good, but I have never done this.

I was thinking about the possibility of using a metalic tape of some sort.

What do folks suggest? Learn to anodize? Tape? Live with it? Other fix?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
So, I am refurbishing my shifter console (which needed to be changed to accommodate the change from an auto to a manual transmission) and am trying to improve the look of the two anodized aluminum plates under the window switches. Mine are knicked up around the switches. Polishing obscures, but does not remove the knicks.

DeQuincy (setting the gold standard as he often does) redid the anodizing -
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18724 - which looks good, but I have never done this.

I was thinking about the possibility of using a metalic tape of some sort.

What do folks suggest? Learn to anodize? Tape? Live with it? Other fix?

PM Vbigdog (Tom Samuelson) as I thought he was going to get some done in brushed stainless

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had mine powder coated a metallic silver/gray.
Nice smooth durable finish and hides small imperfections.
Maybe not totally original but close.
I like them.

Gary

Tundra

Reaction score
Several years ago, for a coupe I no longer own, I had bought an aluminum door kick plate at Home Depot, about $20?. It is about the same color and thickness. Cut it to the correct size then made the holes for the window switches with a Dremel and box cutter (for the corners of the switch holes) and the round holes with an appropriate drill bit. Worked and looked fine to me. The only drawback was that I had to glue them on with epoxy since there are no stems and am not that handy to weld them on. Since the kick plate is fairly large compared to what is needed you have plenty of material to practice & start over if you screw up at first. Just a thought.