Shift opening rub

snj5

Reaction score
After installing a 265 5 speed with short shifter and a coupe king wide center console, the shift lever still hits the edge of the opening going to reverse. What might I be missing?
Many thanks.

alanmcg

Reaction score
position

it might be that the console is not centered properly and needs to be shifted to the left slightly - how much room do you have on the other side when you are in 5th?
i had to enlarge the left side of the console opening, pretty easy to do with a dremel tool and rasp bit, but be careful not to break through the hole for the window switch, that wall gets pretty thin.

jmackro

Reaction score
This seems to be a common problem

I asked the same question in 2010 in the thread at: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6237&highlight=console&page=2 - you might find the replies I received to be interesting.

In the end I didn't install a short shift kit - instead I shortened my shift rod (part #14 in the diagram in post #14 in the thread referenced above) a bit by cutting out a section. While welding the two ends back together, I put a slight twist in it to bias the lever more to the left. That solved the problem.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugh, this took me months to work on and Im not 100% happy with the result. But I can say it not longer touches.

Where the linkage attaches to the back of the tranny, there is a small metal block with a rubber insert which can be worn. Get a new one from Carl. But its a pain to install--you need to drop the exhaust and drive shaft to get at it.

You can get a UUC short shift to help. Or, get a shifter from an E36 M3 from Jim at Mesa which drops right in at a fraction of the price. The problem is that its thicker so it really on helps with fore/aft throw issues.

There is a non-E9 shift linkage which lets you offset the shifter a bit toward the passenger side at the back of the shifter carrier. I got mine from CoupeKing, I dont know what doner car was used, but ask him what he used on my car.

I wanted to use the trick Jay used but I dont know how to weld. Ill bet its the simpler solution.

Last edited: